Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplane mode not working

After the latest update, when the watch is in airplane mode, the green phone icon still appears and I can receive calls, texts, etc. the only time it actually appears to be in airplane mode is when the phone is in airplane mode also.

Fiddling with the mirror iPhone settings does nothing.

Apple Watch Series 4, watchOS 6

Posted on May 21, 2020 3:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2020 5:19 PM

Hello dirtydave66666,

Thank you for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand you're able to receiving incoming phone calls, text messages and more, while the Apple Watch is in Airplane Mode.

Airplane Mode is an important feature that complies with airline regulations and I'd like to help.

What may be occurring here is that Wi-Fi, Bluetooth or both were enabled at some point while Airplane Mode was enabled. This configuration would be saved and remembered for the next time Airplane Mode was enabled. Fortunately, Bluetooth can be disabled in Airplane Mode on the Apple Watch itself in Settings > Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi in Settings > Wi-Fi. Doing so with Airplane Mode on should retain those settings the next time Airplane Mode is enabled.

Use Airplane Mode on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch

Additionally, in the Apple Watch app on your iPhone, General > Airplane Mode > Mirror iPhone only mirrors the state of Airplane Mode between the two devices. It does not directly affect whether Wi-Fi or Bluetooth remain enabled when AirPlane Mode is activated.

Kind regards.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 21, 2020 5:19 PM in response to dirtydave66666

Hello dirtydave66666,

Thank you for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand you're able to receiving incoming phone calls, text messages and more, while the Apple Watch is in Airplane Mode.

Airplane Mode is an important feature that complies with airline regulations and I'd like to help.

What may be occurring here is that Wi-Fi, Bluetooth or both were enabled at some point while Airplane Mode was enabled. This configuration would be saved and remembered for the next time Airplane Mode was enabled. Fortunately, Bluetooth can be disabled in Airplane Mode on the Apple Watch itself in Settings > Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi in Settings > Wi-Fi. Doing so with Airplane Mode on should retain those settings the next time Airplane Mode is enabled.

Use Airplane Mode on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch

Additionally, in the Apple Watch app on your iPhone, General > Airplane Mode > Mirror iPhone only mirrors the state of Airplane Mode between the two devices. It does not directly affect whether Wi-Fi or Bluetooth remain enabled when AirPlane Mode is activated.

Kind regards.

Airplane mode not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.