Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How run Disk Warrior on APFS (High Sierra)?

Disk Warrior users may be already aware of its limitation APFS. For more info please see, THE ALSOFT PAGE that addresses this issue. I have been a loyal user of Disk Warrior for many years and it has unearthed my computer from the depths of ****. Does anyone have a workaround or should I just wait for ALSOFT to come up with an updated version of the software? Thank you.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 21, 2020 4:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2020 11:43 AM

Wait for Alsoft. If your data is not backed up, Prosoft Data Rescue, iSkysoft, and Subrosasoft all offer data recovery that works on systems that are not mechanically failing. iSkysoft preserves folder structure too.

Once your data is recovered, you can also get Micromat Techtool Pro to try to repair your hard drive structure if it is APFS aware.

But APFS is a different file system from HFS+, and you shouldn't use a tool meant for one file system on another.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 21, 2020 11:43 AM in response to SunnaH

Wait for Alsoft. If your data is not backed up, Prosoft Data Rescue, iSkysoft, and Subrosasoft all offer data recovery that works on systems that are not mechanically failing. iSkysoft preserves folder structure too.

Once your data is recovered, you can also get Micromat Techtool Pro to try to repair your hard drive structure if it is APFS aware.

But APFS is a different file system from HFS+, and you shouldn't use a tool meant for one file system on another.

May 21, 2020 8:22 PM in response to SunnaH

The problem is that Apple hasn't released the necessary APFS documentation for the third party utilities to properly repair an APFS volume. I did try out Tech Tool Pro since my supervisor bought it for us, but I would not recommend it. We used to use it back in the OS9 and early OSX days and it was "ok", but I personally wouldn't recommend it now. I was very underwhelmed by it.

The best thing to do if you are using APFS is to make sure to have frequent regular backups in case you need to erase the drive to create a clean APFS volume.

I do recall that someone had an easy way to modify the macOS 10.13 USB installer so that it would allow a volume to remain as HFS+ instead of being converted. It may have been an option with the "createmediainstaller" utility and if it was I think Apple may have removed the option in later updates.

May 22, 2020 11:58 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks. I concur. If everybody had done that or remained on macOS Sierra, Apple would have released the full APFS documentation time ago, and we would have DiskWarrior 6. Hopefully, that will not be much delayed now, since APFS was announced/released by June/September 2017, almost three years ago!!!

May 24, 2020 12:48 AM in response to BDAqua

This is from the horse's mouth (what Alsoft says in their Twitter account), in relation to when Apple will release the required APFS documentation: "…it does seem that the file system is a work in progress with documentation still changing. Time Machine 2 is a likely target".

So, hopefully, Apple will announce Time Machine 2 with macOS 10.16 on 22nd June at WWDC 2020, which should set APFS final (or so) specifications, Apple releases documentation about how to write to APFS and DiskWarrior 6 to rebuild the directory of APFS disks is finally released, after three years of APFS being released by June to September 2017. Just about time!

Jun 4, 2020 12:55 PM in response to ApMaX

I hope so. I am sure you get that feeling of insecurity when files are not backed up and feel something critical can happen. I have multiple drives but not one that is an image of my entire drive and software. Thats about 800GB of space. I was just looking at methods to see if I can revert the APFS to a different format so I can use DiskWarrior. Arrrrr!!!

How run Disk Warrior on APFS (High Sierra)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.