Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine is stuck preparing backup

Time machine is stuck preparing backup. It went immediately to that when

I started the backup., with the progress bar solid blue and the words

"preparing backup" underneath it. I tried stopping the backup, deleting

the "In progress" file, and restarting. But the same thing happened

after the restart.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 21, 2020 7:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2020 7:20 AM

Please read If Time Machine remains in the “preparing” stage on Mac.

14 replies

May 22, 2020 7:31 AM in response to mike137137

What about using the cloud as my alternate backup storage device?

Each word of that phrase becomes progressively uncomfortable with its implications:

• "Alternate" is a good idea, but "additional" is a better one. iCloud can definitely be an additional tool in your backup strategy.
  • "Backup" is an obvious necessity. If you should lose a file stored locally, having it stored elsewhere is advantageous. But plenty of people inadvertently delete a document stored in iCloud and only in iCloud. What then? Good question.
  • "Device" is obvious, but it's a storage device that is not yours. In reality it's many devices, but they're all elsewhere. What do you do should those devices should become unavailable for any number of reasons? Another good question.

Yes use iCloud. Just don't rely upon it exclusively as a backup strategy.

That would have the advantage of one backup on site, one off site.

An indisputable advantage. How about keeping one of your portable, inexpensive, easily replaced, disposable USB hard disk drives off site—a question that logically leads you to the conclusion that you really need a minimum of three independent, redundant backups, with at least one of them kept geographically distant from the others at all times. Sheep, wolf, hay.

On the one hand, I am not inclined to trust the cloud.

My trust in any Earthly thing is limited as well.

On the other, Time Machine backups are encrypted, aren't they? How secure is that?

Very. An encrypted TM backup is completely useless without its encryption password. Don't lose that password. It's also advantageous because when a backup drive fails (not if but when) all you need to do is throw it out. On the other hand if that drive should come into someone else's hands, an unencrypted backup can be used by anyone to restore a Mac that is not yours, in effect making it a duplicate of yours. Solution: encrypt.

I guess there is also the question of speed. If it takers a few hours to do a full backup via my USB port, it might take days to do a full backup to the cloud.

It takes longer for obvious reasons, but no matter whose backup service you use there really is no such thing as a "full backup to the cloud". Apple is careful not to refer to it in that manner, but if you look at other (usually, highly advertised) "cloud" backup services reading their fine print will also lead you to that same conclusion.

There is no substitute for Time Machine. There are plenty of backup strategies but nothing else is as integrated with macOS or is capable of conveying its features.

May 21, 2020 7:26 AM in response to John Galt

You are a miracle worker! I got the notification of your reply, and it started to make progress. :)

I know there is no causality there. It was just crazy slow; nearly a half hour for what should have been under a minute. The problem was that I have no way to know if it is just slow or broken.

So far as I know, none of the reasons given at the link apply in this case.

May 21, 2020 7:38 AM in response to mike137137

Oh, a half hour is nothing. If you recently applied a macOS update or upgrade, it might stay in the "preparing" stage for several hours. I know not seeing any apparent progress can be frustrating, but I wouldn't even begin to think about it until tomorrow.

Until then you might consider directing those thoughts to obtaining at least one more, redundant TM backup disk. If you can find no obvious justification for a substantial delay, impending disk failure might be a reason. One and only one backup isn't sufficient anyway.

May 21, 2020 6:09 PM in response to fsharpau

Is TM referencing only the previous data on the current drive.

I'm not quite sure I understand. When selecting a file or folder to restore (because it was erased or altered in a manner you want to undo, for example) TM will search all available TM backup disks for backups of it. You can choose to restore one version of that item, or multiple versions, and keep the original, or replace it.

Can I clone the TM b/up to a new drive (a new SSD to be swapped for the existing system HD)?

You can copy a backup drive to another backup drive using Disk Utility's Restore function. It results in an exact copy. That's often desired when you want to replace a TM backup drive with a larger capacity one for example. But if you're asking if you can swap a startup disk with a TM backup disk the answer is no; that's not how it works. If you need to replace a system startup disk with a new one, you would restore it from its TM backup.

May 22, 2020 5:21 AM in response to fsharpau

I might as well throw in another question. What about using the cloud as my alternate backup storage device? That would have the advantage of one backup on site, one off site. On the one hand, I am not inclined to trust the cloud. On the other, Time Machine backups are encrypted, aren't they? How secure is that?

I guess there is also the question of speed. If it takers a few hours to do a full backup via my USB port, it might take days to do a full backup to the cloud.

Time machine is stuck preparing backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.