Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i open an HTML file and convert to pdf

Ok so this is easy on Mac. 2 seconds. But this new “computer that isn’t a computer” is about to be replaced by a Dell XPS if I can’t get it to do the most simplest of task. I have an eBay invoice that’s in HTML. I want that in PDF please. Simple on a Mac, but it would seem impossible on an iPad.

Posted on May 22, 2020 4:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2020 5:58 AM

Right. Finally I solved this myself in the end. But somewhat clunky. Still the iPad is so fast it doesn’t matter too much. For those interested this is how to convert an HTML file to PDF with no additional software other than apple iBooks

1. Open the HTML in “files” (where that is your only option)
  2. Click on the share or export (top right, box with arrow poking out)
  3. Scroll to “Open in iBooks” when clicked; magically, that will automatically convert the file to PDF ready for you to view export or whatever or even annotate!!
  4. Thank goodness, I was starting to lose faith in Apple.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2020 5:58 AM in response to Ringroses

Right. Finally I solved this myself in the end. But somewhat clunky. Still the iPad is so fast it doesn’t matter too much. For those interested this is how to convert an HTML file to PDF with no additional software other than apple iBooks

1. Open the HTML in “files” (where that is your only option)
  2. Click on the share or export (top right, box with arrow poking out)
  3. Scroll to “Open in iBooks” when clicked; magically, that will automatically convert the file to PDF ready for you to view export or whatever or even annotate!!
  4. Thank goodness, I was starting to lose faith in Apple.

May 22, 2020 7:52 AM in response to Ringroses

Another option if you don't want go through the Books app is to create a shortcut to make a PDF in Apple's Shortcuts app which you can then access from the Share Sheet. If you don't want to create the shortcut yourself, you can download the Make PDF shortcut to the Shortcuts app. You'll need install the Shortcuts app from the App Store. You'll also need to allow untrusted shortcuts in Settings > Shortcuts.

Make PDF workflow:

To use, press on the HTML file and tap share:

Tap Make PDF:

You'll see a preview of the PDF. Tap done:

Select where to save the PDF. If not renaming, tap Save:

Tap the filename to rename if desired:

Done:

Shortcuts User Guide

iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation), iPadOS 13.5.

May 22, 2020 5:01 AM in response to Ringroses

Webpage or email? Does the HTML open in Safari?

If the HTML is viewable in Safari, have you used the Share Sheet to create a PDF using the Markup tool?

When using Markup, simple tap the default blue-highlighted pencil-icon (at top-left of the screen) to save the entire page, as a PDF, without any markup edits.

I hope this information is helpful in resolving the difficulty that you might be experiencing.

May 22, 2020 5:54 AM in response to Ringroses

I obviously can’t see what you can see, but try this workflow...

I assume that the “HTML file” is present on your device - and can be located in the native Files App. With your finger, having navigated to the file, use the long-touch gesture to summon the file Action Menu, then tap Share. From the Share Sheet, choose Safari.

Assuming that the file opens successfully in Safari, tap the Share icon at top-right, scroll through the menu and select Markup. This will open the Markup window.

Assuming that you don’t not wish to make any markup edits, if the Markup icon at top-right is highlighted, tap to deselect, then tap Done at top-left. You can now choose a path to save a PDF copy.

how do i open an HTML file and convert to pdf

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.