Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Email VERY slow to send; High Sierra

I have searched these fora for answers but they all seem to be too old, pre-High Sierra, and not applicable.

A few weeks ago, for no reason that I can determine, my outgoing emails from my work iMac, no matter small, take 30 seconds or longer to send. I use the same outgoing server settings on my MacBook at home. I have multiple accounts that all send slowly. Any ideas why this might be happening and/or how to fix it?

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on May 22, 2020 6:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2020 12:38 PM

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2712

System Preferences>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

Sys Prefs>Network>highlight the Interface you're using>Advanced>TCP/IP>Configure IPv4: Using DHCP.

If using Wifi, instead of joining your Network from the list, click the WiFi icon at the top, and click join other network. Fill in everything as needed.

System Preferences>Network>choose interface>Advanced>Proxies Tab, make sure none are set, like for HTTP & HTTPS.

System Preferences>Network, unlock the lock if need be, highlight the Interface you use to connect to Internet, click on the advanced button, click on the DNS tab, click on the little plus icon, then add these numbers...

Apply.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2020 12:38 PM in response to bookmanjb

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2712

System Preferences>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

Sys Prefs>Network>highlight the Interface you're using>Advanced>TCP/IP>Configure IPv4: Using DHCP.

If using Wifi, instead of joining your Network from the list, click the WiFi icon at the top, and click join other network. Fill in everything as needed.

System Preferences>Network>choose interface>Advanced>Proxies Tab, make sure none are set, like for HTTP & HTTPS.

System Preferences>Network, unlock the lock if need be, highlight the Interface you use to connect to Internet, click on the advanced button, click on the DNS tab, click on the little plus icon, then add these numbers...

Apply.

May 22, 2020 8:14 AM in response to bookmanjb

bookmanjb Said:

"Email VERY slow to send; High Sierra: [...]I called my work ISP to see if there is some sort of bottleneck causing my sent emails to slow down and they said there's no problem of any kind on their side of the router.[...]"

-------

A Few Thoughts:

• So the ISP Says there are No Issues?

Well, many are at home at the moment, working out-of-the-house, or playing video games. So Internet usage would be consumed quite a bit, in a municipality/region with a lot of residents. So, the ISP is doing all they can on their part, if it were something on their side.

So, if an Issue On this Mac, Try the Following:

• Clear Temporary Internet Files

Try clearing your Temporary Internet Files (Cookies & Cache) of Safari. Cookies perform remembrance of certain site-entered data. Whereas Cache keeps a snapshot of the last time you visited a site.  Use this Link: Clearing History and Cache - Apple Communities

Then...

• Try Using "Force Quit":

Perhaps something is not responding and is therefore getting in the way.

1. Go To: the Apple menu
  2. Select: Force Quit...
  3. Select: the Item
  4. Click: the Force Quit button
  5. Confirm: to Force Quit

Then...

• Scan for Malware:

Start with running a scan for malware, using Malwarebytes for Mac and remove what is found.

Then...

Sometimes changes are made to the system and then settings (i.e. for the microphone) become manipulated, technically. So, reset both on your Mac.

May 22, 2020 7:22 AM in response to bookmanjb

If there is no network then it is expected that emails would not go at all. How is it that they are going without a network? Your computer is connected to your ISP's network which is different than your home ISP network. Then once connected to the ISP's network the email traverses many nodes on different networks before reaching its destination. The routing over these networks is different when sending from your shop connected network than when connected to your home ISP's network.

May 22, 2020 7:35 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

I believe MrHoffman was referring to a LAN because he referred to "IT folks supporting the work network". Naturally, I use a WiFi connection to connect to the Internet. I called my work ISP to see if there is some sort of bottleneck causing my sent emails to slow down and they said there's no problem of any kind on their side of the router. Therefore I assumed the problem has to do with the outgoing email server settings but, as I wrote above, I have the same settings on my home computer and there's no problem. So I posed the question in case someone else had a similar problem that they've solved.

May 22, 2020 7:55 AM in response to bookmanjb

Your email is routed through multiple network nodes when navigating the Internet. The hangup could be anywhere in the path. The delay could be several nodes past your ISPs router. It does not matter what network is being used. Email is not an instantaneous messaging system. It could take a few seconds to route through a node or it may take minutes. I doubt the issue is on your computer and if it is not, there is nothing you can do about the issue except change your Internet connection thereby possibly changing the routing used.

One thing you could try is changing your DNS servers.

May 22, 2020 8:41 AM in response to bookmanjb

You have one laptop which works fine. You have a second computer which does not perform to expectations. You refer to the former as “home” and the latter was “work”. Rather than confusing the issue with detsils that don’t matter here, I’m going to refer to those as “fast” and “slow”.

You have two ISPs here, and that can involve some combination of network links and different email servers.

Since you reference using same server settings, that implies you’re not using the ISP email services. Which means you’re down to troubleshooting the differences in the two network paths, which can include different DNS settings as well as substantial differences in the network paths involved between the ”fast” and the “slow” computers and the mail server provider.

So... what are the details DNS settings, and what are the differences in the two network paths here?

How are these two different ISP networks connected to the “fast” and “slow” computers?

What are the details of the hardware for “fast” and “slow” computers? Does the “slow” one have limitations such as, for instance, a hard disk?

Are there add-on anti-malware or add-on cleaners or add-on VPN clients involved here anywhere?

Email VERY slow to send; High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.