Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is new ipad 7th generation overheating?

I bought my new iPad 7th generation iPad 128 GB in March 2020. I have not experienced this happening until now. I had just charged it so unplugged it and then was sitting down outside reading on it for approximately half an hour when a temperature gauge notice came up saying it must cool down before using. I immediately shut it down.

Is this a common occurrence on the iPad 7th generation. I have owned an iPad Air for almost 7 years and never had this problem. This makes me nervous about it possibly overheating on its own and causing a fire!

I hope you can help!

Posted on May 22, 2020 9:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2020 9:10 AM

We can only offer you this support article:--> Keeping iPhone, iPad and iPod touch within acceptable operating temperatures – Apple Support

But we can't diagnose that problem remotely, sorry. Since it is still covered by warranty, if the issue persists, have it inspected at an Apple Store or Authorized Service provider, when they re-open.

Regards

Giulio

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2020 9:10 AM in response to MaggieIB

We can only offer you this support article:--> Keeping iPhone, iPad and iPod touch within acceptable operating temperatures – Apple Support

But we can't diagnose that problem remotely, sorry. Since it is still covered by warranty, if the issue persists, have it inspected at an Apple Store or Authorized Service provider, when they re-open.

Regards

Giulio

May 22, 2020 6:51 PM in response to MaggieIB

Not unique to the iPad 7. My original iPad Air (2013) on which I keep our song list did that when we were doing an outdoor gig last June. Afternoon temp was about 90F and the sun was falling directly on the iPad screen. It shut down with the same display you describe.

I turned the face of the iPad away from the sun and few minutes later the sun moved down enough fo a shadow to fall on the iPad. Within minutes it was working again, and saved until we were done.

The black screen absorbs a lot of heat; the iPad was good about warning you and me that it was unhappy. So keep it out of direct sun and it should be fine.

Per the article linked, our iPads must have reached an internal temp of 95°F.

May 23, 2020 3:44 PM in response to MichelPM

Thank you for replying.

Yes, I have to say I was sitting with the sun behind me so it most likely was hitting the screen.

I had never had this happen before when I used my iPad Air outdoors under sunny warm conditions so did not realize this was a possibility of happening with iPad 7th generation.

I will remember to keep this in mind and stay out of the sun and I hope this doesn’t happen again.

Why is new ipad 7th generation overheating?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.