Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Watch heart rate on iPhone in real time?

Hello all,

I just purchased a watch 5 and use it along with my iPhone 11. I cant seem to get live heart rate readings on my iPhone. I mean I want to use my iPhone to monitor the HR recorded by the watch, continuously, real time, like on the watch display itself.

is this even possible?

This Apple Watch 5 replaces my Fitbit charge 2, which actually sends a live HR signal to the Fitbit iPhone app so I can get continuous HR readings on my iphone. And I want that. And I assumed Apple would feature that too.

however, when I start an exercise on the watch 5, and open the health app on my iPhone, I don’t get live HR readings. I only see a registered HR from a couple of minutes ago, the reading only gets refreshed when I restart the health app.

any help or info is greatly appreciated!

Posted on May 22, 2020 11:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2020 11:41 AM

When your not in a workout the watch measures your heart rate approx every 10 minutes,when you start a workout the watch monitors your heart rate continuously unless you turn the monitor off.

When you've finished the workout the data is sent to the health app on the phone.

The watch has a very small battery and a constant real time measurement would flatten the battery in no time.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2020 11:41 AM in response to PhotogWithMac

When your not in a workout the watch measures your heart rate approx every 10 minutes,when you start a workout the watch monitors your heart rate continuously unless you turn the monitor off.

When you've finished the workout the data is sent to the health app on the phone.

The watch has a very small battery and a constant real time measurement would flatten the battery in no time.

May 22, 2020 1:20 PM in response to Community User

hi Jack, thanks for your instant response. So it wasn't something I overlooked or did wrong. It's a pity, but as I understand from what you wrote what I want to do is not possible. Thanks a lot for getting me out of the dark.

What you added about the battery life is a good explanation. Still my Fitbit Charge 2 does send the HR through to the iPhone real time and has a 5 day battery life, so it is possible. Then again, the Fitbit has an ultra small b/w OLED display. And that is why I am abandoning it in the first place.

Maybe I should look over at Garmin to see what they've got, for instance a vivoactive or the like. I believe they do offer real time HR readouts on the Garmin iPhone app.

Cheers!

Watch heart rate on iPhone in real time?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.