You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is dictation (microphone) symbol on iPad keyboard?

I was told there is a microphone symbol that I press to enable dication on my iPad, but I don’t see such a symbol. Can someone help? Thx!

iPad, iPadOS 13

Posted on May 22, 2020 5:15 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 22, 2020 5:53 PM

Thank you both very much! I had installed a Google keyboard which was my problem. There is no dictation symbol on the google keyboard for iPad, though I’m sure there’s a way to turn it on.

once I reverted to To a regular iPad keyboard, I had no problem. Thank you again!

7 replies

May 22, 2020 5:41 PM in response to summergarden

You don't actually have to remove the smart folio keyboard to get the onscreen keyboard (where the dictation microphone can be found).

Switch to software keyboard

You might need to use your software keyboard instead of the Smart Keyboard Folio or Smart Keyboard to do things like type accented characters or use dictation. To show the software keyboard, tap the down arrow key on your Smart Keyboard Folio or Smart Keyboard, then touch and hold  until the software keyboard appears. To hide the keyboard again, tap .

Learn more about using keyboards with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

May 22, 2020 5:51 PM in response to summergarden

Or

Switch to software keyboard 

You might need to use your software keyboard instead of the Smart Keyboard Folio or Smart Keyboard to do things like type accented characters or use dictation. To show the software keyboard, tap the down arrow key on your Smart Keyboard Folio or Smart Keyboard, then touch and hold ((bottom right on the screen) until the software keyboard appears. To hide the keyboard again, tap .

Where is dictation (microphone) symbol on iPad keyboard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.