Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: iPhone not showing up in iTunes

Hi,

my phone is disabled and I need to connect to iTunes but when connecting usb cord to my Mac my iPhone isn't showing up in itunes?

I've tried different usb cords and restarting my Mac.

I also have the latest software.

please help

iPhone X, iOS 13

Posted on May 22, 2020 8:18 PM

Question marked as Helpful

May 25, 2020 4:42 AM in response to agileno In response to agileno

For iOS 12 or later you need iTunes 12.8.0.150 or better running on OS X 10.11.4 or better. See How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support if required. iOS 13 likely requires iTunes 12.8.2.3 or better.

Assuming a suitable version of iTunes is in place then in Finder use the menu item Go > Go to Folder..., copy the following text, paste it into the dialog box and press enter:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/Current/Resources

Unlock your device and connect it to USB. Double click on MobileDeviceUpdater in the folder that has opened. It should notify you of a software update. Install it and iTunes should hopefully recognize your device.

tt2

May 25, 2020 4:42 AM

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

May 24, 2020 7:51 AM in response to agileno In response to agileno

Hello Agileno,

It sounds like your iPhone is disabled and currently you cannot get your iPhone to be detected by iTunes. For this issue there are two articled which can help you out.

If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod

If you forgot the passcode on your iPhone, or your iPhone is disabled

Cheers!

May 24, 2020 7:51 AM

Reply Helpful (1)
Question marked as Helpful

May 25, 2020 4:42 AM in response to agileno In response to agileno

For iOS 12 or later you need iTunes 12.8.0.150 or better running on OS X 10.11.4 or better. See How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support if required. iOS 13 likely requires iTunes 12.8.2.3 or better.

Assuming a suitable version of iTunes is in place then in Finder use the menu item Go > Go to Folder..., copy the following text, paste it into the dialog box and press enter:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/Current/Resources

Unlock your device and connect it to USB. Double click on MobileDeviceUpdater in the folder that has opened. It should notify you of a software update. Install it and iTunes should hopefully recognize your device.

tt2

May 25, 2020 4:42 AM

Reply Helpful (21)

May 29, 2020 10:58 AM in response to turingtest2 In response to turingtest2

Hi turingtest2,

I had exactly the same issue as Agileno where my new iPhone would not be recognized on iTunes. I followed your suggested fix and it worked flawlessly. Thanks very much for your input, I was getting totally frustrated trying to resolve the issue.

Gramps54

May 29, 2020 10:58 AM

Reply Helpful

May 30, 2020 7:01 AM in response to turingtest2 In response to turingtest2

I tried to follow your tips, but when i try to open MobileDeviceUpdater it says "can't open the application because apps in this folder are not installed".

Both my iPhone and MacBook Air are up to date, so i'm really confused as to why my phone won't show up in iTunes... do you think i should contact apple care?

May 30, 2020 7:01 AM

Reply Helpful

May 30, 2020 7:18 AM in response to joshuadebarge In response to joshuadebarge

Right, start here: What happened to iTunes? - Apple Support. You cannot install iTunes in Catalina. Your device should now show up in Finder rather than Music. If you're not seeing it there see If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support.

tt2

May 30, 2020 7:18 AM

Reply Helpful (1)
User profile for user: agileno

Question: iPhone not showing up in iTunes