Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Storing photos on iCloud but delete off my iphone

If I upload photos from my iPhone to the iCloud but then delete the photos from the iPhone will they automatically disappear from iCloud?

I basically want to use iCloud as a storage area for my photos but want to clear my phone from photos.

thanks

iPhone SE, iOS 13

Posted on May 23, 2020 1:39 AM

4 replies

May 23, 2020 1:49 AM in response to ditch00

If you are using iCloud Photos on your iPhone, you must not delete any photos from the iPhone, that you want to keep. iCloud is a syncing service and not primarily an external storage. The library on your iPhone will always be kept identical to iCloud. Any photo you delete from the will be deleted from iCloud and any other synced device as well.

The only way to save storage on your iPhone with iCloud Photos is the "Optimise iPhone Storage" option. Then iCloud will automatically remove some of the high resolution originals from the iPhone and replace them by smaller versions for browsing. You can save some storage this way, but remove the photos from the iPhone completely. If you want to remove the photos completely, you need a different service.

You could disable iCloud Photos on the iPhone, and then delete all photos, and they will stay in iCloud. But you will no longer be able to see them on the iPhone, only on other devices.

This link explains, what iCloud Photos could do for you and what not:

Three Good Reasons for Using iCloud Photos Library and when not to use it - Apple Community

Storing photos on iCloud but delete off my iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.