Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The maximum number of apps for free development profiles has been reached

I have read many other same problems from the forum while still cannot find a solution for me.

Details

Unable to install "myapp"
Domain: com.apple.dt.MobileDeviceErrorDomain
Code: -402620383
--
The maximum number of apps for free development profiles has been reached.
Domain: com.apple.dt.MobileDeviceErrorDomain
Code: -402620383
User Info: {
    DVTRadarComponentKey = 487925;
    MobileDeviceErrorCode = "(0xE8008021)";
    "com.apple.dtdevicekit.stacktrace" = (
	0   DTDeviceKitBase                     0x000000011b1f281a DTDKCreateNSErrorFromAMDErrorCode + 233
	1   DTDeviceKitBase                     0x000000011b233f70 __90-[DTDKMobileDeviceToken installApplicationBundleAtPath:withOptions:andError:withCallback:]_block_invoke + 155
	2   DVTFoundation                       0x00000001004f5155 DVTInvokeWithStrongOwnership + 73
	3   DTDeviceKitBase                     0x000000011b233ca8 -[DTDKMobileDeviceToken installApplicationBundleAtPath:withOptions:andError:withCallback:] + 1654
	4   IDEiOSSupportCore                   0x000000011b0e2e91 __118-[DVTiOSDevice(DVTiPhoneApplicationInstallation) processAppInstallSet:appUninstallSet:installOptions:completionBlock:]_block_invoke.352 + 4165
	5   DVTFoundation                       0x00000001006287f4 __DVT_CALLING_CLIENT_BLOCK__ + 7
	6   DVTFoundation                       0x000000010062a436 __DVTDispatchAsync_block_invoke + 1194
	7   libdispatch.dylib                   0x00007fff6a7876c4 _dispatch_call_block_and_release + 12
	8   libdispatch.dylib                   0x00007fff6a788658 _dispatch_client_callout + 8
	9   libdispatch.dylib                   0x00007fff6a78dc44 _dispatch_lane_serial_drain + 597
	10  libdispatch.dylib                   0x00007fff6a78e5d6 _dispatch_lane_invoke + 363
	11  libdispatch.dylib                   0x00007fff6a797c09 _dispatch_workloop_worker_thread + 596
	12  libsystem_pthread.dylib             0x00007fff6a9e2a3d _pthread_wqthread + 290
	13  libsystem_pthread.dylib             0x00007fff6a9e1b77 start_wqthread + 15
);
}
--

System Information

macOS Version 10.15.4 (Build 19E287)
Xcode 11.5 (16139)

Above is the error message Xcode gives me. I am using Xcode 11.5 (11E608c) on OSX 10.15.4 of a 2019 Macbook Pro 16 inch. The testing iOS device is a iPhone X running iOS 13.5.

I have tried deleting the provisioning profile and test apps on my phone by the Window - Devices and Simulators of Xcode, unpair my phone and reconnect, and reboot Macbook and phone. The same issue remains. Starting a new project from scratch still leads to the same problem.

I have found that this is a bug introduced by Xcode 11.4 release notes, except the 'workaround' does not solve my problem.

My Apple ID is not enrolled in the Apple Developer Program, but switching to a new Apple ID (which I just registered) in the Xcode preference does not solve this problem.

Thanks for your help in advance.

iPhone X, iOS 13

Posted on May 23, 2020 3:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2020 1:25 PM

I had this problem too. Tried everything and as a last step I dived into devices logs.

Open Console app on Macbook and catch logs while trying to install an app from Xcode. Search for MIFreeProfileValidatedAppTracker and something like:

[MIFreeProfileValidatedAppTracker _onQueue_addReferenceForApplicationIdentifier:bundle:error:]: 182: This device has reached the maximum number of installed apps using a free developer profile: {(
    "<bundleid>",
    "<bundleid>",
    "<bundleid>"
)}

Instead of <bundleid> there are gonna be concrete ids that are counted toward free app limit. I found out, which app are those, deleted them and everything worked like a charm after that.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2020 1:25 PM in response to Mick609

I had this problem too. Tried everything and as a last step I dived into devices logs.

Open Console app on Macbook and catch logs while trying to install an app from Xcode. Search for MIFreeProfileValidatedAppTracker and something like:

[MIFreeProfileValidatedAppTracker _onQueue_addReferenceForApplicationIdentifier:bundle:error:]: 182: This device has reached the maximum number of installed apps using a free developer profile: {(
    "<bundleid>",
    "<bundleid>",
    "<bundleid>"
)}

Instead of <bundleid> there are gonna be concrete ids that are counted toward free app limit. I found out, which app are those, deleted them and everything worked like a charm after that.

May 23, 2020 10:35 PM in response to saoth_

This solved my problem. Thank you very much!

For anyone find this post later, the Console app can be found in the Window - Devices and Simulators by clicking the 'Open Console' button in your phone's tab. In the Console app, type "MIFreeProfileValidatedAppTracker" in the upper right corner's search box will help you find the detail of this message after failed running your app.

I have also found that most of the bundle IDs shown in the error message are auto offload apps. Turns out the Xcode misclassified all the auto offloaded apps (apps you have not used for a while) as your free developer account's test apps. If you encounter the same problem, the solution is to re-download all the offload apps. Then, turn off the auto offload in the iPhone Settings - iTunes & App Store - Offload Unused Apps to prevent this from happening again.

Jun 29, 2020 2:51 PM in response to saoth_

Nice one!

But also: why.

Because with technical specifics aside: this means that by downloading Apps distributed via the App Store you mysteriously rack up a quota of limited "provisioning certificates" that will lock you out of your own device if attempting any sort of IOS development; be it learning, experimentation, general curiosity. Lest you pay 99$. Or discover this thread.

Genuinely super interested to know what kind of avaricious cabbage came up with this idea.

Jun 30, 2020 2:09 AM in response to apple_are_rapacious

Turns out this is actually a ridiculous bug:

Any iCloud offloaded apps installed on the phone are counted as developer installed apps until reinstalled or deleted.

You can confirm this in the console when looking at the MIFreeProfileValidatedAppTracker error message. For example, this is my list of offending applications:

“_.com.triodos.bankinguk”,
“com.apple.DocumentsApp”,
“com.apple.VoiceMemos”,
“_.com.dropbox.paper”,
“_.co.polarr.pve”,
“_.com.buycott”,
“_.com.google.hangouts”,
“_.com.skype.skype”,
“_.com.google.calendar”,
“_.com.google.Sheets”,
“_.com.apple.news”,
etc….

Once I either reinstalled or deleted these apps, then I no longer received the “maximum number of apps for the free dev profiles has been reached” message. I could also confirm this by looking again at the MIFreeProfileValidatedAppTracker list, where I now had a grand total of ~ zero ~ offending apps.

The maximum number of apps for free development profiles has been reached

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.