Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Switching husband to his own Apple ID without losing any of our photos

My husband and I have both been using my Apple ID on each of our phones. So all of our photos (over 40,000) are all jumbled together on both of our phones and an iCloud. We want to give him his own personal Apple ID, which I’ve already created online, and are hoping that then his photos that he has taken on his phone will remain on his phone, but my photos will be removed from his phone. Vice a versa, we are wanting only my photos to stay on my phone and his to be removed. Together, we have 40,000 photos and videos that are all mixed in together and on both of our phones and on my iCloud account. Can anyone help us sort this mess out without losing any photos? Thanks so much.

(I also posted another question about how to download all our photos from iCloud to my new 2 TB computer.)

iPhone 5s, iOS 10

Posted on May 23, 2020 10:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2020 1:07 PM

Unfortunately those 40K photos/videos that was taken using your Apple ID will remain with that ID. In other words, his photos/videos that were part of that 40K, will not automatically gravitate to his newly made Apple ID.

What you will have to do which will be a bit onerous would be to go through those 40K photos/videos to first determine which are his, then download them to a computer or external hard drive, and after uploading them to his Apple ID logged into that computer.

Archive or make copies of the information you store in iCloud - Apple Support.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2020 1:07 PM in response to JulieRaz

Unfortunately those 40K photos/videos that was taken using your Apple ID will remain with that ID. In other words, his photos/videos that were part of that 40K, will not automatically gravitate to his newly made Apple ID.

What you will have to do which will be a bit onerous would be to go through those 40K photos/videos to first determine which are his, then download them to a computer or external hard drive, and after uploading them to his Apple ID logged into that computer.

Archive or make copies of the information you store in iCloud - Apple Support.

Switching husband to his own Apple ID without losing any of our photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.