Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating iPad mini

I'm trying to download apps onto my iPad but it's telling me to update to iOS11 or later. or latest version. How do I up date my iPad mini that is currently running on iOS 8 version 8.1.1

iPad mini, iOS 8

Posted on May 23, 2020 11:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2020 1:17 PM

If you’re unable to date your original iPad mini from iOS 81.1 to iOS 9.3.5/6 using the OTA update method from Settings, it may be necessary to use either a PC (with iTunes installed) or a Mac (with iTunes or Finder - as appropriate):

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204204

Apple formally ended update support for iPad mini in September 2016 - and cannot be updated beyond iOS 9.3.5 (WiFi Only models) or iOS 9.3.6 (WiFi & Cellular); it cannot be updated to iOS 10 or later versions, as the internal hardware does not meet the minimum technical requirements for new versions of iOS/iPadOS.

Many App Developers have also dropped support for older devices and iOS versions preceding iOS11/12 - and have withdrawn older versions of their Apps from the Apple App Store.

If Apps that you need to use now have higher minimum iOS-version requirements, your only option is to replace your iPad with newer model.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2020 1:17 PM in response to jimmie901

If you’re unable to date your original iPad mini from iOS 81.1 to iOS 9.3.5/6 using the OTA update method from Settings, it may be necessary to use either a PC (with iTunes installed) or a Mac (with iTunes or Finder - as appropriate):

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204204

Apple formally ended update support for iPad mini in September 2016 - and cannot be updated beyond iOS 9.3.5 (WiFi Only models) or iOS 9.3.6 (WiFi & Cellular); it cannot be updated to iOS 10 or later versions, as the internal hardware does not meet the minimum technical requirements for new versions of iOS/iPadOS.

Many App Developers have also dropped support for older devices and iOS versions preceding iOS11/12 - and have withdrawn older versions of their Apps from the Apple App Store.

If Apps that you need to use now have higher minimum iOS-version requirements, your only option is to replace your iPad with newer model.

Updating iPad mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.