Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to preserve my Sierra 10.12 recovery partition?

I bought my 2015 rMBP directly from Apple and it came with 10.12 recovery partition built in. Due to compatibility and performance concerns, I am erasing my SSD and cloning mojave from an external drive that has Mojave with HFS+ formatting to preserve HFS+ on my SSD. I will then migrate my data over using migration assistant. That is all fine, but I want to keep my existing 10.12 Sierra recovery partition on my internal SSD. Is there a way to wipe my drive without deleting the recovery partition or re-adding it after the SSD has been wiped?

The reason I am concerned about this is because I didn't 'purchase' Sierra when it was the current OS on the app store, so I may not be able to download it and revert back to Sierra if I don't have it.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.12

Posted on May 23, 2020 11:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2020 1:59 PM

If you make a bootable USBinstaller from your download—it contains a Recovery partition.

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

3 replies

Is there a way to preserve my Sierra 10.12 recovery partition?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.