Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can my son read my text messages from his own iphone. He is doing this - and it's a total invasion of my privacy and want to stop this

How can my son read my text messages from his own iphone. He is doing this - and it's a total invasion of my privacy and want to stop this

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 13

Posted on May 23, 2020 7:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2020 9:06 AM

Change your passcode, change your Apple ID password, enable two-factor authentication, and update passwords associated with your password-recovery path; security questions and email addresses associated with account recovery. In this case, a trusted recovery telephone number (for two-factor authentication) may be a problem, too. Though you will know if your Apple ID password changes.

Treat this for what it is. A breach.

A breach where you have some limited authority over the perpetrator too, in this particular case.

And to be blunt, I expect the kids to win these efforts long-term, until and unless the parents substantially improve security.

Parental controls seemingly exist to teach the kids the limits of their parents and educators, and about the limits of the parents’ and educators’ technical skills, and about the worst inclinations of parents’ and educators’ personalities. Any kid that’s inclined can bypass these controls and access the ‘net, too—kids are curious, persistent, observant, clever, and they communicate. Kids are usually particularly good at shoulder surfing parental passcodes, too.

Some of the following won’t apply here, but much of this will:

If you think your Apple ID has been compromised - Apple Support

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2020 9:06 AM in response to cbf1517lk

Change your passcode, change your Apple ID password, enable two-factor authentication, and update passwords associated with your password-recovery path; security questions and email addresses associated with account recovery. In this case, a trusted recovery telephone number (for two-factor authentication) may be a problem, too. Though you will know if your Apple ID password changes.

Treat this for what it is. A breach.

A breach where you have some limited authority over the perpetrator too, in this particular case.

And to be blunt, I expect the kids to win these efforts long-term, until and unless the parents substantially improve security.

Parental controls seemingly exist to teach the kids the limits of their parents and educators, and about the limits of the parents’ and educators’ technical skills, and about the worst inclinations of parents’ and educators’ personalities. Any kid that’s inclined can bypass these controls and access the ‘net, too—kids are curious, persistent, observant, clever, and they communicate. Kids are usually particularly good at shoulder surfing parental passcodes, too.

Some of the following won’t apply here, but much of this will:

If you think your Apple ID has been compromised - Apple Support

May 23, 2020 9:02 PM in response to cbf1517lk

Text messages from Facebook Messenger or Apple's Messages?

Two different problems.

Don't share your iPhone's passcode, or add his face, or fingerprint with your son Apple's Messages.

Don't share you Facebook's or Messenger's password with your son.

Ask him nicely how he does it. And if he does not, and he is living with you and under 18, take his phone or cancel his phone service. (Not being mean, its just actions have consequences.) Share this post with him to make him understand.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.