Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Random Partitions On Disk Utility

In the picture below, my mac is shared by 5 volumes. Why is this the case? Along with that, why do I have a "Container disk1" and two volumes under that("Macintosh HD" and ""Macintosh HD - Data").

Also, when I try to partition my mac, it won't let me add another volume, stating that the minimum size must be 195 GB. Why does this happen?

Posted on May 23, 2020 8:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2020 7:15 AM

A little bit Catalina and a lot APFS.

APFS has Containers that contain Volumes. Containers are like partitions.

Volumes are virtual divisions of a Container, but all of the Volumes in a container share the same total storage space.

Catalina separates the OS from your Data and third-party stuff. The Macintosh HD volume is the OS and is mounted Read Only so nothing can modify it.

Macintosh HD - Data contains everything else and is mounted read/write.

The three other volumes in Container disk1 are:

Preboot - for booting up

VM - Virtual Memory

Recovery - What used to be the Recovery partition. It's now in a Volume under APFS.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2020 7:15 AM in response to advait288

A little bit Catalina and a lot APFS.

APFS has Containers that contain Volumes. Containers are like partitions.

Volumes are virtual divisions of a Container, but all of the Volumes in a container share the same total storage space.

Catalina separates the OS from your Data and third-party stuff. The Macintosh HD volume is the OS and is mounted Read Only so nothing can modify it.

Macintosh HD - Data contains everything else and is mounted read/write.

The three other volumes in Container disk1 are:

Preboot - for booting up

VM - Virtual Memory

Recovery - What used to be the Recovery partition. It's now in a Volume under APFS.

Random Partitions On Disk Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.