Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All calls going straight into voicemail on apple watch with cellular data plan.

How do I fix this issue? AT&T says tonight it is not my watch but an issue on their end. My watch is synced with my phone and it's paired. Watch shows I have cellular data with AT&T but calls coming in to my watch when iPhone is off are sent straight into voicemail. How do I fix this?

Posted on May 23, 2020 10:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2020 1:24 PM

Hi Sampino1,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. I understand you're having difficulties receiving calls on your Apple Watch when your iPhone is powered off. I'd be happy to assist.

I'd recommend taking a look at this resource that talks about using the Apple Watch without an iPhone: Use your Apple Watch without your iPhone nearby

Specifically, take a look at these two notes:

"1. To receive SMS, MMS, or push notifications from third-party apps on your cellular Apple Watch, your paired iPhone must be powered on and connected to Wi-Fi or cellular, but it doesn't need to be nearby. You also need to be signed in to iMessage on your iPhone.

2. If you're on Wi-Fi and want to call a phone number, make sure that Wi-Fi calling is turned on for your Apple Watch. Otherwise, try making a FaceTime audio call."

Wi-Fi and having Wi-Fi calling enabled would be required to make a call from your watch with your iPhone turned off. An alternative route would be to make a FaceTime audio call which would function over cellular data.

Here's how to set up Wi-Fi calling on the Apple Watch: Make a call with Wi-Fi Calling

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2020 1:24 PM in response to Sampino1

Hi Sampino1,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. I understand you're having difficulties receiving calls on your Apple Watch when your iPhone is powered off. I'd be happy to assist.

I'd recommend taking a look at this resource that talks about using the Apple Watch without an iPhone: Use your Apple Watch without your iPhone nearby

Specifically, take a look at these two notes:

"1. To receive SMS, MMS, or push notifications from third-party apps on your cellular Apple Watch, your paired iPhone must be powered on and connected to Wi-Fi or cellular, but it doesn't need to be nearby. You also need to be signed in to iMessage on your iPhone.

2. If you're on Wi-Fi and want to call a phone number, make sure that Wi-Fi calling is turned on for your Apple Watch. Otherwise, try making a FaceTime audio call."

Wi-Fi and having Wi-Fi calling enabled would be required to make a call from your watch with your iPhone turned off. An alternative route would be to make a FaceTime audio call which would function over cellular data.

Here's how to set up Wi-Fi calling on the Apple Watch: Make a call with Wi-Fi Calling

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

All calls going straight into voicemail on apple watch with cellular data plan.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.