Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Duplicated Music Library

I have been steered several time to the Show Duplicates solution for ridding my library of extra items. The problem I have is slightly beyond the capacity of that fix though.

My entire library has been duplicated and even triplicated and more internally.

I want to correct this issue, but the only fix I've identified is extremely time intensive.

Any help finding another solution will be greatly appreciated.

Please see below an example of what has happened to my library over time. And understand this little snapshot is just that, a little snapshot. This is what my library looks like in nearly every single album and playlist.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on May 24, 2020 10:59 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

May 25, 2020 6:43 PM in response to mikegaulco

Generally it is going to be user error. From Duplicate songs in iTunes - Apple Community:

iTunes or Music may create duplicates if the same content is repeatedly added from outside the media folder when it is set to make copies of anything that is added to the library, or is added from an external drive that hosts the media folder if it was offline when iTunes or Music was launched.

You can prevent it happening by being careful how you add new media to the library. You should also maintain a full backup of the library so you can undo any unwanted changes.

tt2

Jun 8, 2020 1:01 PM in response to mikegaulco

If you're seeing both locally stored and cloudy versions of tracks in the library try signing out of the store, then sign in again. If you're only seeing the cloud copy then it is likely that at some point you library has been corrupted in a way they means it shows your content in the cloud. See Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash - Apple Community for some background. Reimporting locally stored media or redownloading from the cloud when this happens might, depending on various settings in the library and the location of the files generate new physical files in the media folder. The trailing digits are used when iTunes or Music wants to create a new local copy of a file at a specific path when there is an existing file there.

tt2

Jun 7, 2020 6:50 PM in response to turingtest2

I'd like to write it off as user error, and it may be. I've been using these apps for decades though, and this problem has only come up in the last couple.

I only add by ripping cd, or by purchasing from the apple store.

The issue, I believe, is iCloud, and Apple's forcing us into the cloud. I never had this problem, when all my data was stored on my local drives, when I could cord sync my phones and pads, etc.

The problem continues to get worse.

Here's a brand new screen shot.

Since I was on here exploring this topic last, I went through and deleted all the playlist duplicates, etc., and corrected the contents of the playlists.

In the interim, my Mac decided it no longer wanted to play nice with the rest of my devices. I couldn't handoff, or find open tabs from my Mac on other devices, or vice versa. So I signed out of my Apple ID on my Mac, rebooted it and signed back in. And this is what if find:

This playlist is an old one that I set up years ago to hold 100 genius selected tracks based off one I selected.

You can see now, it's decided to sextuple itself. How? Why?

Duplicated Music Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.