Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina takes forever to recognize photos

How do I measure if my IMAC is making progress in recognising photos. The bar on the bottom of the page does not seem to move even after 48 hours. I do not know if the program is stuck or even if the recognition is working. I have the intel i9 and a 1TB SSD drive.

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 25, 2020 4:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2020 5:22 AM

How large is your Photos Library?

Are you asking about the status display below the "Days", "Months", "Years"?

This may take a very long time, depending on the size of the library. For my small test library with 1000 photos it had been finished within two days. For my larger iCloud Photos Library with 50000 photos and videos it has never finished since I upgraded to Catalina last year, probably because I am using this library a lot and whenever I add new photos or delete photos, change the Favorite mark, name faces, change the dates of photos, add adjustments, the composing of the layout and the object recognition have to be updated. As long as everything is working well, the layout of the Days and Months is pleasing, the object recognition seems to have worked, I simply ignore the progress bar, that is always at 90%.

But I am doing what Photos is suggesting - I am always keeping the mac connected to power and minimise Photos in the Dock, when I am not using the mac, so the background processes can update the library.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2020 5:22 AM in response to The_White_Hope

How large is your Photos Library?

Are you asking about the status display below the "Days", "Months", "Years"?

This may take a very long time, depending on the size of the library. For my small test library with 1000 photos it had been finished within two days. For my larger iCloud Photos Library with 50000 photos and videos it has never finished since I upgraded to Catalina last year, probably because I am using this library a lot and whenever I add new photos or delete photos, change the Favorite mark, name faces, change the dates of photos, add adjustments, the composing of the layout and the object recognition have to be updated. As long as everything is working well, the layout of the Days and Months is pleasing, the object recognition seems to have worked, I simply ignore the progress bar, that is always at 90%.

But I am doing what Photos is suggesting - I am always keeping the mac connected to power and minimise Photos in the Dock, when I am not using the mac, so the background processes can update the library.

May 25, 2020 1:58 PM in response to The_White_Hope

Under my photos by year there is a cube which spins and it says: Curating Best Photos; Composing Layout; Gathering Favorites; Analyzing Scenes; and Detecting Duplicates.

I have been seeing this message "Composing Layout; Gathering Favorites; Analyzing Scenes; and Detecting Duplicates." stuck at 90% since September when I first installed Catalina. I do not expect it ever to finish for my large main library, if the library is large, as I tried to explain, and it not necessary to have it finishing.

I just tested again. I created a small photos library with only 3000 photos. And did not use this new Photos Library at all for two days, while I have been working with my main Photos Library.

After waiting for two days and not touching the new libary at all the new library has been showing finally this message:

But there is simply no way, that I could wait for weeks without touching my main Photos Library to get it to finish the "Curating". It has been stuck at 90% for my main Photos Library for five months now. here have been three system updates in between, that did not change anything.

And it is not necessary to wait for this to happen. It is a background process. Apple should stop this message from showing.

"Composing Layout; Gathering Favorites; Analyzing Scenes; and Detecting Duplicates. "

Ignore this message. This is just Apple showing off the new features of Photos in Catalina. These tasks are just required to create a pleasing layout for the Days, Months, Years. We can use these views, even while waiting for the curating to finish. I do not look at these views anyway, because the photos are cropped and tiled, the titles are not shown, and I cannot see them properly there, and only a subset of the photos is shown. The more useful "All Photos" view and the albums we create are independent of the curated views.

I have recreated my main Photos Library three times by downloading a fresh copy from iCloud, just to be sure, that the library has no corruption. But it did not make the "Curating" proceed beyond 90% either. It just caused more work, because I has d to recreate the manually added faces.

May 25, 2020 12:24 PM in response to léonie

Leonie, The library is 26,885 photos. Initially I left it for days to chug along. I had the library on an external drive. Then I moved the one library to my SSD hard drive. - not much better. The I moved all my videos out of this library to a separate Library. - not much better. I just now deleted three projects two of which did not seem to work and I will just wait this one out. I thought with a new Imax with i9 processor; 32 GB 2667 MhzDDR4 and a 1 TB solid state hard drive with 447 GB free this would work better. Under my photos by year there is a cube which spins and it says: Curating Best Photos; Composing Layout; Gathering Favorites; Analyzing Scenes; and Detecting Duplicates. The bar is stuck at about where your bar is and I do not think it moves overnight when I leave the machine on. Also I do not know whether to leave "Photos" in background (which it recommends for faces recognition) because it does not mention it for the Curating etc. Also the faces recognition only recognized about 20% of the faces and did not seem to get any further. I am happy to leave the IMac on forever but I do not know if it is making any progress which is disheartening. Thanks for trying to help me. I am lost and disheartened. This was an expensive machine for me and it has yet to live up to my expectations.

May 25, 2020 4:58 PM in response to léonie

As you say, I do not need to be bothered by the Curating in the background. The albums show the pictures and the location screen is great. The problem that causes me concern is that I seem to have lost most of my people or faces. For example my brother in law died a couple of weeks ago and I was looking for a photograph of him in his Knights of St John robes for my sister. Alas I could not find it. Do you have any advice as to when this would happen. As to the curating etc, I understand that you are advising me that I am doing nothing wrong and I just have to wait for it to work. Do you know if having several libraries causes any problems between them all. Thanks for your help

Catalina takes forever to recognize photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.