Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Frustrated with Time Capsule

I have a 2017 iMac that has been backing up to TC for awhile. Now, in the past few months, it says that there is not enough room for a backup and can't complete. I bought an external drive and attempted a backup per the Apple Help Desk. I think it worked, but hard to confirm if everything is on there because it was an Easy Store from Best Buy. I tried to erase the TC but it never says if it is done or not. Airport Utility says that 2 TB are available, but when I direct it

to do a backup, it says only 345GB of 2TB available. I did this message today: TC has finished backup to Easy Store. Also received a message that Time Capsule is not available.

Posted on May 25, 2020 10:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2020 1:23 PM

Let's just concentrate on the Time Capsule for now since we are not familiar with an Easy Store from Best Buy. If you have questions about this product, you should contact Best Buy.

Airport Utility says that 2 TB are available, but when I direct it

to do a backup, it says only 345GB of 2TB available

Something is wrong here. Open AirPort Utility on your Mac........Finder > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility

Click on the picture of the Time Capsule

Click Edit in the smaller window that appears

Click the Disks tab at the top of the window

Click Erase Disk

Select the Quick Erase option if it is not already selected

Click Erase

The procedure should only take a few minutes to erase the disk

Then, try a backup again. Make sure that you are backing up to the Time Capsule disk, since you have two different Time Machine destinations now.

Report on your results.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2020 1:23 PM in response to christinefromclearwaterfl

Let's just concentrate on the Time Capsule for now since we are not familiar with an Easy Store from Best Buy. If you have questions about this product, you should contact Best Buy.

Airport Utility says that 2 TB are available, but when I direct it

to do a backup, it says only 345GB of 2TB available

Something is wrong here. Open AirPort Utility on your Mac........Finder > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility

Click on the picture of the Time Capsule

Click Edit in the smaller window that appears

Click the Disks tab at the top of the window

Click Erase Disk

Select the Quick Erase option if it is not already selected

Click Erase

The procedure should only take a few minutes to erase the disk

Then, try a backup again. Make sure that you are backing up to the Time Capsule disk, since you have two different Time Machine destinations now.

Report on your results.

May 25, 2020 7:05 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thank you for your assistance with this issue. I did as instructed and erased. When I enter the Time Machine, it doesn't have a lot of backup, so I'll assume that it is erased.

I tried another backup and I now receive this error "Time Machine couldn't complete the backup-the backup could not be found. Make sure that the backup disk is connected or select a different backup disk." But the correct one is selected.

May 25, 2020 7:15 PM in response to christinefromclearwaterfl

The Easy Store hard drive should be appearing on the Mac's desktop.

Right-Click on the icon of the hard drive

Click on Eject "name of drive"

Now click on the Time Machine "clock" icon at the top of the Mac's screen

Click Open Time Machine Preferences

Click Add or Remove Disk

Click on the name of the Time Capsule disk......(named "Data" unless you have changed the name of the drive)

Click Use Disk

Close the windows

Click on the Time Machine "clock" icon at the top of the Mac's screen

Click on Backup Now

Give the backup plenty of time as it must copy everything from the Mac over to the Time Capsule

When the backup is done........Restart your Mac

Now Time Machine will alternate backing up to the Easy Store and the Time Capsule

May 28, 2020 9:53 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi,

Thank you for your help. I ejected the Easy Store and disconnected it from the computer. There is not an Add/Remove disk option. The "Data" disk is showing and selected but it still says that the backup disk cannot be found. I think that I am giving up with this Time Capsule and just ordered an external compatible drive from Apple that will be delivered tomorrow. Hopefully, I can set it up in Time Machine and just get rid of the TIme Capsule all together.

Frustrated with Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.