Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Cache - How Delete?

Greetings.

SONGS WILL NOT DELETE.

I have gone through my media folder (finder) and deleted duplicated songs, emptied the trash, restart itunes, and those duplicates are back. How do I delete the cache or whatever it is that is causing this? The duplicates have all been deleted off the hard-drive.

A search found this:

"First, quit iTunes, then launch Finder. Press the Command + Shift + G

shortcut, and paste the following path into the Go to Folder prompt:

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.itunes. Delete all the files."

Nada... songs are still there.

Anybody know how to do this?

That's great, thanks in advance.

Mac Pro, OS X 10.11

Posted on May 25, 2020 6:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2020 10:48 AM

See Duplicate songs in iTunes - Apple Community for some general background. I have a Windows script that can clean up a variety of different types of duplicate. In your case you might have what I call logical duplicates where two or more entries in the library are connected to the same physical file. Organizing duplicates by date and removing the recent copies, without deleting the underlying files, may be an approach that works, but may not be so easy to apply if the duplicates have been generated over time. Backup first.

tt2

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2020 10:48 AM in response to Chizzer

See Duplicate songs in iTunes - Apple Community for some general background. I have a Windows script that can clean up a variety of different types of duplicate. In your case you might have what I call logical duplicates where two or more entries in the library are connected to the same physical file. Organizing duplicates by date and removing the recent copies, without deleting the underlying files, may be an approach that works, but may not be so easy to apply if the duplicates have been generated over time. Backup first.

tt2

May 26, 2020 10:41 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks again for your time...

The app is on another machine, so i grabbed a quick iphone pic.

As you see, there are two copies of each song. There WERE two copies in the media folder, which I deleted, for example - filename: It's Okay Baby(1).mp3

I know the (!) error you speak of, however in this case I can click on - and play ALL of the songs listed here without error. And this issue carries on through my entire itunes folder.

If I must go through and delete every duplicate... 1,000's.... after deleting the actual file from the local drive - how would I know which of these duplicates (in itunes) no longer resides on the drive? Perhaps itunes is using two xml files or something??

Thanks for your time :)

May 25, 2020 6:58 PM in response to Chizzer

The list of tracks in iTunes is maintained independently of whatever might be in the media folder. Deleting files from the media folder won't clean up unwanted entries in the library. In addition iTunes will typically show any unhidden and undownloaded purchases in the cloud, sometimes as duplicates to tracks that are downloaded. Signing out of the iTunes Store and then signing in again can clear these.

tt2

May 26, 2020 2:48 AM in response to Chizzer

Can you share a screenshot of what you see and think is wrong? iTunes should generally be managed via iTunes, not Finder. If you delete files in Finder without removing the entries in iTunes they will remain, and look like any other track until you try to play them. At that point they gain an exclamation mark to indicate a broken link and you may be prompted to try to locate them. You can select and delete the unwanted entries in iTunes.

tt2

iTunes Cache - How Delete?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.