Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple preference files

I'm seeing multiple preference files for the same applications, in such cases subsequent versions have a bunch of random characters after them.

I did see a similar question asked a bout a year ago, but didn't get answered.

Posted on May 26, 2020 6:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2020 9:39 AM

And nothing will 😎.

These files were temporary versions of plist files that normally would have been deleted, but for some reason were not - most likely because the respective application crashed or was force-quit before it had the chance to clean up.

Similar questions

12 replies

May 26, 2020 7:47 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

It's good to know they are common, if they are. I'd surmised they were empty files that weren't being deleted as they are all zero KB in size. But...

My concern stemmed from that until recently, I hadn't seen any of these before, then I had an issue with the Finder window keep bringing itself to the front every few seconds. I resolved this with a safe boot and restart, but when I looked deeper at the time, I found a bunch of these duplicate pref files for the finder.

At the time these duplicates appeared in the library folder itself rather than the pref folder within the library folder, I deleted them. At the time they were the only such duplicates, now I have many of them and from different processes. It just concerned me.

May 26, 2020 8:49 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Winston Churchill wrote:

They are preference files

Not all of them

in the library/preferences folder

Which library/preferences folder? There 3 different ones that I can think of off the top of my head.

most of the duplicates are from Apple processes.

The file system does not allow duplicates. That is why I asked what software you were using. It seems to be grouping a bunch of dissimilar things together and confusing you. I would be happy to answer specific questions, but if this is just random output from a random 3rd party app, you will have to ask the developer what it all means.

Personally, I have plenty of "plist" files. Some are actually preferences files, but most are not. They are a generic method for loading structured data into an app. Some of what you have listed looks like it could be some kind of lock file. I don't have any of those in my preference folders. I don't know what other differences there are between my system and yours in terms of OS version, filesystem, or 3rd party software.

May 26, 2020 10:49 AM in response to etresoft

Not all of them

OK, they are property list files, whilst only some might contain configuration settings, I did feel that as they reside in a folder named preferences that referring to them as preference files would have been sufficient for reference purposes.

Which library/preferences folder? There 3 different ones that I can think of off the top of my head.

They are from the Home library and are found in the Preferences folder within that library. I had thought that things like the FontBook.plist for example, would only be found in the users folders so didn't feel the need to be more precise. I apologise if they also appear in the other preference folders you refer to.

Some of what you have listed looks like it could be some kind of lock file

I didn't realise this, all the lock files I've seen get allocated a different name to the process itself and a different extension (i.e. Lock0001.flk) but I'll watch out for them looking like plist file and being saved to the preferences folder going forward.

I don't have any of those in my preference folders

That confuses me a bit, I thought that everyone would, for example, have a FontBook.plist or an iCal.plist in their preference folder. I can't imagine what circumstances would lead you not to have them, but as I know you know your stuff, I'll accept that this can be the case.

I don't know what other differences there are between my system and yours in terms of OS version, filesystem....

I did post details of my system in the opening thread (10.15.4). I didn't realise I'd need to post details of my file system, but in anycase had thought that APFS had been the filesystem since 10.13 and before the release of the iMac I have.

May 26, 2020 10:58 AM in response to dialabrain

dialabrain wrote:

FWIW, I found a few examples in ~/Library/Preferences & /Library/Preferences. Some from 2017, 2018 & 2019. I deleted them all and so far nothing has blown up. :)

That made me take another look. I'd believed they had all appeared in the last month, but this is not the case. they all seem to be from quite a long time ago, indeed all seem to have creation dates from when I had my Mac Pro (The Mac I had prior to this one), so it seems that, other than my issue with the Finder a month ago, all these files came over when I migrated from my previous Mac.

I'm going to delete them all for housekeeping purposes, I suspect nothing will occur because of this and even if it does they'll likely recreate themselves if they were needed.

Multiple preference files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.