Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini Hangs

I have a Mac Mini 2010 running SL and I erased the drive and installed a fresh copy of SL including Rosetta and QT 7 then installed all updates.

After the computer boots to the login screen it halts or hangs for 5 minutes. The mouse works but I can’t use the keyboard to enter a UN and PWD. The cursor just sits and blinks at the UN as if it is waiting...

After about 5 minutes, I am able to use the keyboard and I login then the computer responds I can do what I want.

If I boot into Safe Mode, there are no problems. I can remote into the computer and no problems.

I have tried PRAM and it doesn’t resolve the issue. I ran DU and doesn’t find anything wrong with the drive. There is nothing in the Launch Agents, Daemons or Startup Items that appear to cause the computer to hang at the login screen. I am not sure if there is a bad PLIST file that would cause it.

Besides something possibly hardware related, I don’t know what is causing the halt or hanging at the login screen.

Mac mini, macOS 10.12

Posted on May 26, 2020 6:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2020 7:02 AM

From you description, it sounds like the Hard Drive may be failing.

Does it still have the original 320GB Hard Drive from Mid 2010 or has the drive been replaced?

Run EtreCheck and post back with the Report.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/etrecheck/id1423715984?mt=12

Similar questions

4 replies

Jun 2, 2020 5:31 PM in response to den.thed

Here is an update. I took out the original 320gb drive and replaced it with another drive. Then I performed a fresh SL install and I installed the first set of updates and waiting for it to respond. It is at the desktop and it finally responses to mouse activity when I click on the icons.

After the computers boots it automatically goes to the desktop where it hangs and I can't click on nothing. No icons or anything else.

So far, it still continues to hang with another HD. I would say there is something else that is going on.

Mac Mini Hangs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.