Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot play DVD

Hi,

I can't find a way to play DVDs on my MacBook Air. The DVDs work fine on a normal TV DVD player but I have now bought and tried 2 different USB external drives and neither of them work on my Mac.

Odd because I am trying to watch a box set, and season 7 plays absolutely fine but seasons 4 and 5 don't work at all (haven't tried any other seasons). I can see the files on the disc and my laptop recognises that there is a disc there, but when trying to open the files on VLC, vGuru player, or the laptop's own DVD player the screen is just black and the DVD player gets very loud and hot.

The only thing I can find about it is that the season 4 and 5 DVDs are universal disc format - but I'm not sure if this is a reason they are not playing?

I've been trying different combinations and solutions for a week so would appreciate any help!

Cheers

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 27, 2020 3:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2020 4:20 PM

Hey Lkanjee,

I see that you're having trouble playing a DVD on your MacBook Air. I'll be happy to help out.

Was the USB external drive that you used a SuperDrive? If so, take a look at these steps here that can help out with SuperDrive issues: Get help with the slot-loading SuperDrive on your Mac computer - Apple Support

Have a great day.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2020 4:20 PM in response to Lkanjee

Hey Lkanjee,

I see that you're having trouble playing a DVD on your MacBook Air. I'll be happy to help out.

Was the USB external drive that you used a SuperDrive? If so, take a look at these steps here that can help out with SuperDrive issues: Get help with the slot-loading SuperDrive on your Mac computer - Apple Support

Have a great day.

Cannot play DVD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.