Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina auto correct

I recently updated to Catalina, despite having deactivated "correct spelling automatically" in the keyboard tab of system preferences OS continues auto correct in all applications Mail, Safari even Word.

I recently restored Mac OS so I should have the latest updated version. Because I often switch back and forth between writing in French and English Auto correct is a nightmare. I want to write "mais" in French and it gets changed to MAIs. I can stop auto correct by hitting opt with the space bar, but that is not a satisfactory long term solution.

Please Help!

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 27, 2020 4:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2020 5:45 AM

lelandst wrote:

I recently updated to Catalina, despite having deactivated "correct spelling automatically" in the keyboard tab of system preferences OS continues auto correct in all applications Mail, Safari even Word.

For each app you should also check Edit > Spelling and Grammar to make sure that autocorrect is not checked.

Word does not use Apple's autocorrect. For that app you need to fix its own preferences.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2020 5:45 AM in response to lelandst

lelandst wrote:

For each app you should also check Edit > Spelling and Grammar to make sure that autocorrect is not checked.

Word does not use Apple's autocorrect. For that app you need to fix its own preferences.

Jun 10, 2020 4:26 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thanks Tom,

I had deactivated "correct spelling automatically" in those apps, which is why I had to ask for help. Looks like my problem was a third party app (typeit4me) that wasn't playing nice with Catalina. I ditched it and the annoying and inappropriate auto correct stopped. I now am using the macos text replacement, which works just fine.

Catalina auto correct

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.