Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Phone is disabled due to inputting the wrong password too many times. Her email account is no longer active to reset it. Her security question doesn’t match either.

My mother’s phone is disabled due to her inputting the wrong password too many times. Her email account is no longer active to reset it. Her security question doesn’t match either so I am stuck. Any other options beside buying a new phone and starting from scratch?

Posted on May 27, 2020 8:57 AM

3 replies

May 27, 2020 9:05 AM in response to Mrsartusi

There are a couple of issues here. the phone can be restored to factory settings using these instructions—>If you forgot the passcode on your iPhone, or your iPhone is disabled - Apple Support.

If it asks for an Apple ID and password after doing that the phone is activation locked. The Apple ID email address and password that were used to set it up will be required to continue setup. Note that the Apple ID looks like an email address, but it is really just a user ID; the email account does not need to be active to use it to meet the requirements of Activation Lock.

The next issue is 2 factor authentication. If it is enabled for the Apple ID then you will need to be able to receive an authentication code to the phone; again, it does not need to be to the Apple ID, it will be sent as a message to the phone.

Once you have set it up you can change the Apple ID for the account—>Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

If this sounds too complicated use the Contact Support link at the top of this page to communicate with an Apple technician who can walk you through the process, or make a Genius Bar appointment if you have any local Apple stores that are open—>https://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

May 27, 2020 9:12 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thanks. So we already restored back to factory settings. When trying to set up again it says I need to enter her information, which we tried. Now it says if it is disabled for security reasons, go to Iforgot.apple.com. Tried this also, but my options are send an email or use security questions. The email address is no longer active and for some reason her month and day of birth are not correct. So as of now I cannot reset her password.

Thanks!

Phone is disabled due to inputting the wrong password too many times. Her email account is no longer active to reset it. Her security question doesn’t match either.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.