Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2020 support for Dell U3818DW monitor

I recently purchased a new 13" MacBook Pro (MBP, 13”, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports) and am having trouble having the machine display on my Dell U3818DW monitor that I had purchased a year ago. I'm running Catalina 10.15.4.

I have received the following messages on the monitor:

• When trying to connect via USB-C: "No USB Type-C signal from your device."
  • When trying to connect via HDMI (with dongle to go from HDMI to USB-C to connect to MBP): "The current input timing is not supported for the monitor display.  Please change your input timing to 3840x1600, 60Hz or any other monitor listed timing as per the monitor specifications."

I've tried to adjust the settings for the external monitor via System Preferences, but the 3840x1600 is not available (3840x2160 is) and I can't change the refresh rate (even after pressing the Option key and "Scaled" a dropdown for the refresh rate is grayed out).

The monitor continues to work perfectly for my older MacBook Pro (13” Retina, early 2015), also running Catalina, 10.15.4 and connecting via HDMI. However, I'd like to completely switch over to the new machine.

I have seen old discussions on here regarding Dell monitors (including the U3818DW), but none have provided solutions and I hadn't seen a discussion with the latest vintage MBPs. I noticed that Dell seems to provide no support for Apple products.

Any suggestions to make these two play well together are greatly appreciated. I'm really liking the new MBP, but also like that monitor!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 27, 2020 12:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2020 12:56 PM

My bad, the original page I looked at said your monitor didn't support USB-C video, but indeed the owner's manual for the monitor says it does.

It also says:

No Image When Using USB Type-C.

No image when using USB Type-C connection from monitor to notebook or PC.

U3818DW supports USB Type-C Alternate Mode with DP1.2.
Verify if the PC or Notebook USB Type-C interface supports Alternate Mode. DP1.2. DP1.1 is not supported.
Check that you use the USB Type-C cable that shipped with your monitor.

It also states:

USB Port Not Working.
U3818DW has a USB Selector that allows you to set the USB upstream port for the input signals (DP, HDMI 1, and HDMI 2), thus the monitor's USB downstream port (eg. keyboard and mouse) can be used by the current input signals when you connect a computer to either one of the upstream ports. If the USB Selector is not set correctly, the USB downstream ports will not work.
Ensure USB Selector is set correctly.
Go to Monitor OSD Menu > USB Selector
Ensure that your USB Upstream port is paired correctly to the input signals (DP, HDMI1, HDMI2) that you want.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2020 12:56 PM in response to Dogcow-Moof

My bad, the original page I looked at said your monitor didn't support USB-C video, but indeed the owner's manual for the monitor says it does.

It also says:

No Image When Using USB Type-C.

No image when using USB Type-C connection from monitor to notebook or PC.

U3818DW supports USB Type-C Alternate Mode with DP1.2.
Verify if the PC or Notebook USB Type-C interface supports Alternate Mode. DP1.2. DP1.1 is not supported.
Check that you use the USB Type-C cable that shipped with your monitor.

It also states:

USB Port Not Working.
U3818DW has a USB Selector that allows you to set the USB upstream port for the input signals (DP, HDMI 1, and HDMI 2), thus the monitor's USB downstream port (eg. keyboard and mouse) can be used by the current input signals when you connect a computer to either one of the upstream ports. If the USB Selector is not set correctly, the USB downstream ports will not work.
Ensure USB Selector is set correctly.
Go to Monitor OSD Menu > USB Selector
Ensure that your USB Upstream port is paired correctly to the input signals (DP, HDMI1, HDMI2) that you want.

May 27, 2020 12:48 PM in response to jdebacker

Looking at the specs for the Dell U3818DW monitor, it doesn't support USB-C video, it supports DisplayPort; you will likely need a Thunderbolt 3 to DisplayPort cable.

Unfortunately, the adapter you are using to output does not support 3820x1600, as that isn't a resolution supported by HDMI:

About the Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter - Apple Support

HDMI Supported Resolutons

May 27, 2020 2:56 PM in response to Dogcow-Moof

Thanks for these quick follow ups.

The USB-C cables that I've tried are not Thunderbolt cables (at least that is my current understanding), but just USB-C power cables - I've tried both the one that came with the MBP and one that came with an iPad Pro.

It sounds like I need to buy either a Thunderbolt 3 cable or a new USB-C to HDMI adapter that allows 60Hz and the resolution I need.

Will do that and report back. Thanks.

MacBook Pro 2020 support for Dell U3818DW monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.