Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AOL no longer supports OS 10.6.8 with Mail 4.6...at least that's what AOL told me and my current experience.

I know, I'm a dinosaur, but I've got a nice iMac which I'm going to use to digitalize to some old family photo retrieval from 10,000+ slides I've taken over the decades. I'm using a Minolta Dimage IV to scan them. I don't want to pay for or use Vuescan as I'm used to the original Minolta app that was made for the Dimage IV which requires Rosetta in 10.6 and will not work in 10.7 or higher, and I'm cheap. I wanted my AOL email program to work on this machine too, but found (through Connection Doctor) that though it'll connect to the AOL SMTP server it will NO connect to the AOL IMAP server, thus no mail. Talked to AOL tech support today and they confirmed that I'm done as long as I'm using 10.6.8 or less along with Mail 4.6 or less.

Also, OS 10.6.8 does not have the "Internet Accounts" app in System Preferences with which you can "bless" your AOL Mail program with a code generated by AOL for later AOL Mail programs that do have that that Sysem Pereferences "Internet Account" app, So unless AOL decides to figure out how I can connect with them over this OS as I have for around 30 years, I'm done. I'll still use AOL on my newer machines (yes, I do have them...and iPhones with the latest IOS) but not on this very worthy iMac or it's siblings.

I wish this information had been available elsewhere on the web so I wouldn't have had to spend an hour or more trying to get through to AOL's technicians, so here it is for everyone else! Even on this now orphaned iMac, I can get my mail via Safari by just signing on to AOL.com, so it isn't the end of the world, but for older OS systems, it's the end of an era.

It shouldn't have to be this hard. Security schmicurity!!

iMac

Posted on May 27, 2020 2:27 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

AOL no longer supports OS 10.6.8 with Mail 4.6...at least that's what AOL told me and my current experience.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.