Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Headphones microphone captures internal audio

I'm running into an issue where If I'm with my friend for example on Discord, and also playing a YouTube video in the background they hear my internal macOS audio.

I have already tried 3 headphone pairs and the same problem occurs.

Also tried creating a blank user, and that did not solve the problem.

Is my headphone jack dead?

Is it software side?

Every answer highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 27, 2020 3:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2020 3:31 PM

Gimi_360 Said:

Headphones microphone captures internal audio: I'm running into an issue where If I'm with my friend for example on Discord, and also playing a YouTube video in the background they hear my internal macOS audio. I have already tried 3 headphone pairs and the same problem occurs.[...]

———-

Reset the SMC and NVRAM:

Sometimes changes are made to the system and then settings (i.e. for Volume) become manipulated, technically.  So, reset both on your Mac.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2020 3:31 PM in response to Gimi_360

Gimi_360 Said:

Headphones microphone captures internal audio: I'm running into an issue where If I'm with my friend for example on Discord, and also playing a YouTube video in the background they hear my internal macOS audio. I have already tried 3 headphone pairs and the same problem occurs.[...]

———-

Reset the SMC and NVRAM:

Sometimes changes are made to the system and then settings (i.e. for Volume) become manipulated, technically.  So, reset both on your Mac.

May 27, 2020 4:35 PM in response to Gimi_360

Gimi_360 Said:

"Headphones microphone captures internal audio: I tried both, it didn't work. Anything else I can try?"

-------

I. Create a Time Machine Backup First:

Prior to the resets and installs of your macOS, be certain to backup your Mac using a Time Machine Backup. That way, you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the resets and installs. Use an external hard drive that is at least 1.5 the total storage capacity.

II. Then, Perform the Following:

A. Applications:

• View Force Quit...:

Force Quit... is found in the Apple menu. So, click on it, and see if something ands with “(Not Responding)”. If such is the case, then that would be getting in the way here. So, select it, and then click Force Quit...  button. I would Force Quit all applications and then see if Migration Assistant continues through.

• Relaunch Finder:

Also, be sure to relaunch Finder, by selecting it in Force Quit... and then clicking the Relaunch button. It would sync items on the Desktop, revealing what should be shown, and ridding of what has already removed from it.

• Rid of Login Items:
  1. Go To: System Preferences
  2. Select: Users & Groups
  3. Click: This user name
  4. Click: Login Items
  5. Select: Uneeded items.
  6. Click: “-“ button

• Install Drivers:

View the items on the Manufacturers' sites and see if there are drivers for these to download. If they are installed, it should operate as intended

B. Other Thoughts:

• Nosie Reduction:

Do these headsets have noise-reduction settings? If so, enable that.

• Some Links:

Set up audio devices in Audio MIDI Setup on Mac - Apple Support

Change the sound output settings on Mac - Apple Support

Jun 1, 2020 8:29 PM in response to Gimi_360

Gimi_360 Said:

"Not fixed :/, I think I spend all day just reinstalling from a complete wipe for about 5 to 9 times and still no fix....

I even visited an Apple Store and they made their hardware tests with positive results about my MacBook being OK.

What could it be then? any other tips?"

-------

The Ultimate Solution...

Reinstall the macOS Anew: - Everything would be erased - partition erased and a formatted drive - and all would be installed anew.

I. If it applies: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

Then...

II. Reinstall the macOS Anew:

1. Boot: into Recovery Mode.
  2. Open: Disk Utilities
  3. Delete: the partition
  4. Reinstall: the macOS

Once Installed Anew...

III. Reinstall All the Software:

1. Use Migration Assistant to move Apps a Files back in.
  2. Ask developers for new software keys - but contact the developers only --- none other --- or you may end up with malware and spyware installed.

May 27, 2020 4:34 PM in response to TheLittles

Gimi_360 Said:

"Headphones microphone captures internal audio: I tried both, it didn't work. Anything else I can try?"

-------

If the Above Post does not work, go about...

1. Reinstalling the macOS:

Nothing would be deleted. It's just that items that have become corrupted or deleted, would be placed back to where they should be. Go Here: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

2. But, Create a Time Machine Backup First:

Prior to the reinstallation of your macOS, be certain to backup your Mac using a Time Machine Backup. That way, you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall. Use an external hard drive that is at least 1.5 the total storage capacity.

Jun 1, 2020 10:53 PM in response to Gimi_360

Gimi_360 Said:

I even visited an Apple Store and they made their hardware tests with positive results about my MacBook being OK. [...]Today I'm probably going to the store again and possibly getting the port replaced.

———-

Where is this Store?:

This is is an Apple Store. Correct?

If so, I am no more than curious: Where is this Apple Store located? I hear they are opening Apple Stores now. Spreading the word, would help many, I’m sure.

Headphones microphone captures internal audio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.