Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot erase my usb drive

I’m trying to install MacOS High Sierra on my USB drive but it’s having issues. It won’t let me erase it in any way nor will it let me repair it. I’ve tried to use macOS recovery in terminal and in disk utility but it won’t help. The volume won’t even mount. What’s the issue?

Posted on May 28, 2020 12:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2020 1:11 AM

AhliasTPCC1 Said:

"I cannot erase my usb drive: I’m trying to install MacOS High Sierra on my USB drive but it’s having issues. It won’t let me erase it in any way nor will it let me repair it. I’ve tried to use macOS recovery in terminal and in disk utility but it won’t help. The volume won’t even mount. What’s the issue?"

-------

A Few Thoughts:

Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. updates), system configurations (i.e. for Ports) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM.

• Is it Apple Compatible?:

Do you have the original packaging? If so, see if it is Apple Compatible. If not, it may need to be replaced with one that is.

• Boot into Safe Mode:

When you boot into Safe Mode, items load by default, with all settings and caches set aside. So, hold down the shift key upon boot. See what happens then.

• Create a New Administrator:

See if creating a new administrator does the trick. There may be something misconfigured in your current user - something that is getting in the way.

• Check Force Quit:

See if something is listed as "(Not Responding)". Go to: Apple Menu > Force Quit > Select anything ending with "(Not Responding)". Also, which in Force Quit... be sure to select Finder, and Click "Relaunch"

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2020 1:11 AM in response to AhliasTPCC1

AhliasTPCC1 Said:

"I cannot erase my usb drive: I’m trying to install MacOS High Sierra on my USB drive but it’s having issues. It won’t let me erase it in any way nor will it let me repair it. I’ve tried to use macOS recovery in terminal and in disk utility but it won’t help. The volume won’t even mount. What’s the issue?"

-------

A Few Thoughts:

Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. updates), system configurations (i.e. for Ports) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM.

• Is it Apple Compatible?:

Do you have the original packaging? If so, see if it is Apple Compatible. If not, it may need to be replaced with one that is.

• Boot into Safe Mode:

When you boot into Safe Mode, items load by default, with all settings and caches set aside. So, hold down the shift key upon boot. See what happens then.

• Create a New Administrator:

See if creating a new administrator does the trick. There may be something misconfigured in your current user - something that is getting in the way.

• Check Force Quit:

See if something is listed as "(Not Responding)". Go to: Apple Menu > Force Quit > Select anything ending with "(Not Responding)". Also, which in Force Quit... be sure to select Finder, and Click "Relaunch"

I cannot erase my usb drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.