Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After updating to 10.15.5 my Macbook Pro 2017 15" will not power on.

2 nights ago my Macbook Pro 2017 started updating to 10.15.5. I left it overnight to complete and in the morning the laptop was "dead". It will not power on, tried all key combinations, nothing.

Posted on May 29, 2020 1:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2020 8:18 AM

Ok guys, this is a strange one, my Macbook Pro just came back to life. For the past 4 days I have been trying to power on my laptop and had no response at all, no fans, no backlit, no apple logo, nothing. Tried SMC & PRAM reset many times, still nothing.I also tried another charger and cable (from a similar system) but without any luck. All this time I was using a smart power socket that was showing the power usage, which was always 0. Today after many failed attempts, the power meter showed some current flowing to the system. After waiting for 10 minutes I tried to power it on, the power meter dropped to 0 and the laptop didn't start. Did a SMC reset again, pressed the power button and the system powered on, it was stuck with the apple logo though. Suddenly I felt like throwing a party, luckily I didn't send any invitation because this lasted for 30 seconds. I was back to zero, no power usage and a dead system. After some hours of playing with the charge cable, power button and SMC reset, the system started pulling some power again. This time I waited for 30 minutes and tried again to perform a SMC reset and powered it on again. Apple logo with stuck progress for some time, then it disappeared, it came back, it disappeared again and finally it appeared again with an estimated time for finishing the upgrade. After some time, It reached the login screen and I was able to login successfully. I was surprised that the battery was at 100% which would be impossible if the battery was completely depleted during the time that it was not working.

I understand that I'm not providing a clear guide to the solution, but after many years of experience as a SW/HW engineer I cannot truly understand what has happened.

I'll monitor the system closely and come back with any findings.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2020 8:18 AM in response to vasilis52

Ok guys, this is a strange one, my Macbook Pro just came back to life. For the past 4 days I have been trying to power on my laptop and had no response at all, no fans, no backlit, no apple logo, nothing. Tried SMC & PRAM reset many times, still nothing.I also tried another charger and cable (from a similar system) but without any luck. All this time I was using a smart power socket that was showing the power usage, which was always 0. Today after many failed attempts, the power meter showed some current flowing to the system. After waiting for 10 minutes I tried to power it on, the power meter dropped to 0 and the laptop didn't start. Did a SMC reset again, pressed the power button and the system powered on, it was stuck with the apple logo though. Suddenly I felt like throwing a party, luckily I didn't send any invitation because this lasted for 30 seconds. I was back to zero, no power usage and a dead system. After some hours of playing with the charge cable, power button and SMC reset, the system started pulling some power again. This time I waited for 30 minutes and tried again to perform a SMC reset and powered it on again. Apple logo with stuck progress for some time, then it disappeared, it came back, it disappeared again and finally it appeared again with an estimated time for finishing the upgrade. After some time, It reached the login screen and I was able to login successfully. I was surprised that the battery was at 100% which would be impossible if the battery was completely depleted during the time that it was not working.

I understand that I'm not providing a clear guide to the solution, but after many years of experience as a SW/HW engineer I cannot truly understand what has happened.

I'll monitor the system closely and come back with any findings.

After updating to 10.15.5 my Macbook Pro 2017 15" will not power on.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.