Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't use my Apple ID for the App Store on a shared computer

Hello,

I am using a shared iMac with High Sierra. I have my own Apple account and I can access my files on iCloud and my photos on Photos, but, when I open the App Store to update an app or buy a new one, it asks for the password of another user and I can't change the account since it is grey out.

Isn't it possible to use my own Apple ID on my own session in High Sierra?

Thank you in advance,

Andreu

iMac, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 29, 2020 3:40 AM

7 replies

May 29, 2020 3:49 AM in response to andreu75

See What to do when the Mac App Store shows a different Apple ID for software updates https://www.macworld.com/article/3267709/mac-app-store-apple-id.html This document refers to a prior owner, but is also applies to cases where a current owner's old Apple ID is a problem.

Basically, If an app is purchased/downloaded using one Apple ID, then you can't update it with another Apple ID. The app is inextricably linked to the first Apple ID. You'll have to delete it and repurchase/download it again with the second Apple ID. 

I can't use my Apple ID for the App Store on a shared computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.