Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

15.5.5 external hard drive not showing up

15.5.5 My Lacie external hard drive is not showing up on my desktop. Before the last update, it was working okay. I can't find any solution.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 29, 2020 7:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2020 11:07 AM

Hi nogoats,

We appreciate you taking the time to work through those steps. At this point I'd suggest using these steps:

If you continue to have trouble, reach out to Apple for additional assistance: Contact Apple Support

Best Regards.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2020 11:07 AM in response to nogoats

Hi nogoats,

We appreciate you taking the time to work through those steps. At this point I'd suggest using these steps:

If you continue to have trouble, reach out to Apple for additional assistance: Contact Apple Support

Best Regards.

May 30, 2020 1:01 PM in response to nogoats

Hi nogoats,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand that after the most recent update to macOS Catalina your external hard drive isn't detected by your Mac. I can see why you'd reach out about this; I'd like to help. I'd recommend reviewing the information in the following resource; the title doesn't match to your situation exactly, but the steps and information can help: If a Mac accessory needs more power or is using too much power

If you continue to have trouble, use these steps to reset the SMC and NVRAM of your Mac:

How to reset the SMC of your Mac

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

Let me know what you find.

Best Regards.

Jun 3, 2020 2:08 PM in response to nogoats

Hi nogoats,

Thanks for working through those steps. Per the LaCie Support website, Rugged drives are supported in Catalina: Compatibility with macOS 10.15 - Catalina

If possible, you may want to test the drive with another device to verify it's still working properly as well.

Since you continue to have trouble with the drive being recognized, reaching out to Apple for assistance would be the best next step: Contact Support

Take Care.

15.5.5 external hard drive not showing up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.