Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can´t find "old backups" (one week old) on Time Machine

Hello.

I just erased my MacBook Pro Mid 2012 and after making a bootable usb drive with yosemite and then updating to High Sierra, all that is left to end this 5 days struggle was to put my files back (photos, videos ... almost 500 GB of data of old photos of my daughters and me). When i open the Time Machine (to access my Time Capsule), on the right scroll line i only have today ...

I already tried everything that a can remember and read but nothing. I mounted the mount sparse bundle but the backups aren't there.

All the data in Time Capsule are there so i am sure that nothing happened, i am just not capable to get to "old" (1 week) files.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Bruno Franco

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 29, 2020 10:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2020 1:05 PM

Archive is easy to do.. plug the USB drive into the Time Capsule USB port. (If not hfs+ format plug it into your computer first and format it Mac OS extended journaled.)

Open Airport utility and go to disk tab.. select archive disk under the Partitions box.

Once you start archive it does not need any more interaction. The TC will not accept backups while archiving but you should have already turned off Time Machine. It can still work as a router in the network.

The job takes from 24-36 hours depending on all sorts of factors.. but expect a full day. You will see a progress bar as it is working.

Once it completes the archive you do at least have a backup.

The way forward from that point is to upgrade the computer back to Catalina.

Then i erased the disk because it was really slow and i wanted to clean up everytinhig.

Here is the rub. Catalina performs poorly on mechanical hard disks particularly slower 2.5" laptop style.

Is your 2012 laptop running an SSD?

I am guessing you have a 1TB or larger drive in the Macbook.. otherwise you could not fit in 500GB worth of photos and videos.

What I suggest if you have 2012 laptop with mechanical disk is take it to the shop and get it upgraded to 1TB SSD. Supply them with the backup of the TC on USB drive and get them to recover from the backup to a date before you erased the drive. You will need to clearly state the date. Make sure they hand you the original drive.

IMHO the performance of Catalina on a machine of that age even with SSD will not make you happy. So if you already have an SSD in it, then I would suggest creating for yourself the system drive before this mess started. It is easy to do. However you will need external 3.5" fast mechanical drive or SSD. Boot the hard disk to recovery and use the Time Machine System to go back to before you started messing around.. and do a full recovery not to the boot drive.. (you need to back this up carefully before you start) but to the external drive. This will take several hours. Once you have this recovery it should be selectable to boot the laptop and you can then archive properly all your personal folders.

I can point to other posts with lots more details if all that sounds too much..

None of your data is going to be harmed doing any of this.. you have already archived the backup. Since the size is very large I would be 90% certain you are going to recover ok. All you need is the right setup.

You certainly can upgrade the laptop back to Catalina and then try again to open the backup even from Finder. That might be easier for you to do.. although I prefer the recovery method since that takes you back to original working boot drive before the mess started.

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2020 1:05 PM in response to brunoxnf

Archive is easy to do.. plug the USB drive into the Time Capsule USB port. (If not hfs+ format plug it into your computer first and format it Mac OS extended journaled.)

Open Airport utility and go to disk tab.. select archive disk under the Partitions box.

Once you start archive it does not need any more interaction. The TC will not accept backups while archiving but you should have already turned off Time Machine. It can still work as a router in the network.

The job takes from 24-36 hours depending on all sorts of factors.. but expect a full day. You will see a progress bar as it is working.

Once it completes the archive you do at least have a backup.

The way forward from that point is to upgrade the computer back to Catalina.

Then i erased the disk because it was really slow and i wanted to clean up everytinhig.

Here is the rub. Catalina performs poorly on mechanical hard disks particularly slower 2.5" laptop style.

Is your 2012 laptop running an SSD?

I am guessing you have a 1TB or larger drive in the Macbook.. otherwise you could not fit in 500GB worth of photos and videos.

What I suggest if you have 2012 laptop with mechanical disk is take it to the shop and get it upgraded to 1TB SSD. Supply them with the backup of the TC on USB drive and get them to recover from the backup to a date before you erased the drive. You will need to clearly state the date. Make sure they hand you the original drive.

IMHO the performance of Catalina on a machine of that age even with SSD will not make you happy. So if you already have an SSD in it, then I would suggest creating for yourself the system drive before this mess started. It is easy to do. However you will need external 3.5" fast mechanical drive or SSD. Boot the hard disk to recovery and use the Time Machine System to go back to before you started messing around.. and do a full recovery not to the boot drive.. (you need to back this up carefully before you start) but to the external drive. This will take several hours. Once you have this recovery it should be selectable to boot the laptop and you can then archive properly all your personal folders.

I can point to other posts with lots more details if all that sounds too much..

None of your data is going to be harmed doing any of this.. you have already archived the backup. Since the size is very large I would be 90% certain you are going to recover ok. All you need is the right setup.

You certainly can upgrade the laptop back to Catalina and then try again to open the backup even from Finder. That might be easier for you to do.. although I prefer the recovery method since that takes you back to original working boot drive before the mess started.

May 29, 2020 1:09 PM in response to brunoxnf

If you erased your Mac's hard drive and installed a new operating system, you have in effect, a "new" Mac. Time Machine cannot "see" the backups that were made on your "old" Mac because it can only read the backups that were made using the same Mac.

In other words, if you bought a brand new Mac, it could not "read" the Time Machine backups of your "old" Mac......because it did not make them.

You will need to use Migration Assistant on your "new" Mac to transfer data from a Time Machine backup of your "old" Mac. This Apple Support document will go over the details of how to do this.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204350

May 29, 2020 1:35 PM in response to brunoxnf

Not sure what to suggest at this point since we provided the same answer that you would have received from Apple Support. I assume that you hare restarted the hard drive

I'm not recommending this......because it is easy to corrupt your old backups......but if you want to try it. what happens when you open up the sparsebundle file for the "old" Mac?

Take us through each step, and what happens after each step, as we cannot see your screen, so things that are obvious to you are unknown to us.

May 29, 2020 2:21 PM in response to Bob Timmons

when i open the sparsebundle file that is in the time capsule (with some other files that i have there, movies ...)

some times i get this message: "the following disk couldn't be opened, Resource temporarily unavailable"

When i am able to open, Time Machine Backups appears on the devices,

i open that and get a Backuos.backupdb folder,

i open that and there is a folder named Bruno´s MacBook pro

i open that and i get 5 folders all of them with dates from today and the last one named Latest

None of them from previous dates.

May 29, 2020 2:35 PM in response to brunoxnf

There should be two different sparsebundle files on the Time Capsule disk.....one for your "old" Mac and another for the "new" Mac with the operating system that was just installed awhile ago.

I am starting to worry that the old backup file has become corrupted. If it is, it probably would not appear when you try to open The Time Capsule disk using the Finder......even though the file might be taking up a significant amount of space on the Time Capsule disk.

Unfortunately, I cannot create this type of issue here. We'll have to wait to see if another user will respond who can help.

May 29, 2020 3:04 PM in response to brunoxnf

You need to preserve what you have so it is not lost.

Stop using Time Machine NOW.

Get a suitably sized USB drive and using the Airport Utility archive the TC. Depending on the amount of files on the TC and how full it is this can take up to a day or more.

Tell us precisely what you did. In order.

Every step from the computer working away happily on its previous OS (yosemite??) to running on your current High Sierra.

I also want to know if the USB drive you mentioned in the first post is a proper image of the drive.. if so all your troubles are over.

bootable usb drive with yosemite

Tell us how you made this and does it include all the files on the computer before you started this process?

In the second post after Bob explained you need to use migration assistant.. you stated.

I already did that but the only backups that appeared are from today :(

Migration Assistant causes all kinds of issues. The only date you can select for migration is the current backup so the reference to only backups today appeared does not make sense. Migration Assistant would / should hopefully transfer all your files from previous computer configuration to new one.

But this is where things go wrong... A full Migration will make the computer adopt the old Time Machine backup and the first backup after migration can very well destroy the original backup. Did any message come up about if you wished to adopt or use the old backup at any point?

Did you use the exact name for the first user as was used on the previous computer? That will also lead to problems.

Were all the old videos (500GB worth) actually sitting on the computer in your user folders before you started upgrade?

You cannot recover them from Time Machine if you did not have them on the disk beforehand?

Tell us exactly how they were stored if not on the machine?

Tell us how much freespace there is on the TC disk? The disk tab from Airport Utility will tell you this.

May 29, 2020 4:22 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks again for your help.

I will try to respond the best i can to your questions.

My MacBook pro mid 2012 was running Mojave or Catalina, i am not sure but i think it was Mojave.

After that on MacOS utilities i cloudn´t restore from time machine (it just stall and didn't go nowhere) nor Reinstall macOS .

Saw on the internet that i can make a bootable usb drive with yosemite and thats what i did, with my father MacBook (i followed this instructions but with yosemite that i got from app store How to create a bootable macOS High Sierra USB Install drive ...https://www.youtube.com › watch)

It didn't work at the first time but i did it and was able to up date to High Sierra.

About Migration Assistant i think i never got to the end (now i am not really sure, i already did allot of things, but i am almost sure i didn't). It only showed the Today backup and i thought i didn't want that.

The almost 500 GB of Photos and videos were on my MacBook pro in my Home Folder of Videos, Photos, Documents ... Before i erased the disk.

Yes i am using the same name that i used before for the first user :(

TC have 189,18GB of free space (that is why i know that the "old" backups must be somewhere inside it).

Thanks again

May 29, 2020 5:41 PM in response to brunoxnf

Assuming this is a Gen5 AC model TC do the archive to a suitable USB HFS+ formatted drive. If the TC is 2TB then you need 2TB USB.. if it is 3TB you need 3TB USB.. minimum .. it can of course be larger.

This is IMPORTANT, ESSENTIAL and should have been done before you started. Your 500GB of videos etc are seriously at risk.

Once you have archive you can plug it directly to the computer and check.. we can also fix permissions.. which I am seriously hoping is the main problem.

Please NOTE for the future.. NEVER EVER trust Time Machine again.

A bootable clone of the computer onto a USB drive and none of this would be a problem. That is why I was hoping you did a proper clone. Also videos and photos should be separately backed up to multiple locations.. as separate files. They can never be replaced.

After you do the archive post back for more details.. You will need yet another USB drive of size equal to the boot drive and it is possible you can do a full restore of the original disk before this mess started. You will need to boot to the recovery partition and use setup assistant. This has got several people out of trouble.

NOTE.. you cannot read Time Machine backup if you were on a later OS and restored an earlier version.. Time Machine backups from Mojave and especially Catalina are totally invisible to High Sierra.. you can only go forward not backwards.. that is so so important to understand.

May 30, 2020 5:41 AM in response to LaPastenague

I am really getting scared of loosing my photos and videos, so after you had tell me, my plan is:

buy the usb drive and make the archive (please, let me know how to proper do this, i don't want to make more mistakes).

After that do you think that if i upgrade to Catalina (i checked by a photo on my phone and i was using Catalina on this MacBook) i will able to seen the old backups?

If that doesn't work i am planning to go to a proper Apple authorised service provider, i really don't want to loose my files and even with your help i don't have the knowledge to be secure that i will do everything right.

Thank you again.

Jun 29, 2020 5:07 AM in response to LaPastenague

Hello.

Just for let you know that the problem is solved.

I upgraded to catalina and accessed the Photo library file on the time capsule, i saved it to a hard drive. Installed High Sierra again on the Mac and because i couldn't open the Photo Library, i did "show package contents" and imported folder by folder :(

Now the photos and movies are out of date and some doubled, but i think that they are all there.

Thanks allot, couldn't made it without your help.

Can´t find "old backups" (one week old) on Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.