You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I do this with numbers?

Can this be done in numbers (see attached image). or do I have to purchase and use Excel for this? Basically step #5 so I get the same looking graph is my unknown.

Posted on May 29, 2020 12:49 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 29, 2020 11:19 PM

It takes just a few minutes to produce a similar-looking chart in Numbers from the imported data. (For this example I just replicated the data for the first day, but the actual data will produce a different pattern for each day).

Simply add two columns to the data table, one for the values along the x-axis and one for the y-axis values.

The x-axis is simply 1 incremented by 1 for each row to the end of your data. I did that by entering 1 in E2, and then in E3 the formula =E2+1 and filled that down the column.

The y-axis column simply replicates the values in the usage column. In F2, I used the formula =D2, and filled it down the column.

Then select the entire columns E and F (I do that by clicking the column letters E and F at the top), and in your menu go to Insert > Chart > 2D Scatter. You will see a chart appear in your sheet.

Click a series within the chart and in the Style tab at in panel at the right add connection lines, change the thickness of the lines, remove the Data Symbol, etc. as desired.

In the Axis tab change the Scale and Steps as desired, add Axis Names, etc.

In the Chart tab add a Title, remove the Legend, etc.

It takes a little experimenting to get the look you want, but in general it is quick and easy.

SG

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 29, 2020 11:19 PM in response to MrKurtn

It takes just a few minutes to produce a similar-looking chart in Numbers from the imported data. (For this example I just replicated the data for the first day, but the actual data will produce a different pattern for each day).

Simply add two columns to the data table, one for the values along the x-axis and one for the y-axis values.

The x-axis is simply 1 incremented by 1 for each row to the end of your data. I did that by entering 1 in E2, and then in E3 the formula =E2+1 and filled that down the column.

The y-axis column simply replicates the values in the usage column. In F2, I used the formula =D2, and filled it down the column.

Then select the entire columns E and F (I do that by clicking the column letters E and F at the top), and in your menu go to Insert > Chart > 2D Scatter. You will see a chart appear in your sheet.

Click a series within the chart and in the Style tab at in panel at the right add connection lines, change the thickness of the lines, remove the Data Symbol, etc. as desired.

In the Axis tab change the Scale and Steps as desired, add Axis Names, etc.

In the Chart tab add a Title, remove the Legend, etc.

It takes a little experimenting to get the look you want, but in general it is quick and easy.

SG

May 29, 2020 1:42 PM in response to MrKurtn

You may have to import your CSV data to a separate table, then copy and paste the two columns separately into the Data and Consumption columns of the table shown.

Numbers handles Date and Time values differently from MS Excel, which could make further calculations necessary to reinterpret the values in columns A, B and C.

The Date in column A would be a d&t value with the time part set to 00:00:00 (midnight at the beginning of that day).

The 'times' in columns B and C would be d&t values as well, with the dates set to the date on which the times were entered (in Numbers).

Numbers can be pretty good at recognizing text expression of some values as numbers, dates, times or durations in formulas, but it's not something I've used regularly enough to provide any specifics on.

If you do find that Numbers cannot handle this data import satisfactorily, I would suggest taking a look at LibreOffice, a free to download, install and use office suite application deigned to more closely resemble MS Excel's behaviour.

Regards,

Barry

May 29, 2020 6:21 PM in response to MrKurtn

From what I can tell, the column of dates is actually text, not dates. If it was a column of dates, all the data for a particular date would be graphed by Excel in a vertical line (i.e., multiple Y values for a single X value) then it would move on to the next date and plot all its values in a vertical line, etc.. I find no way to force Excel to do otherwise with dates. As text, though, each data point gets its own X "value", evenly distributed across the chart. The actual X values (the dates in your case) are immaterial, it charts them one after another irregardless of what their "value" is (text has no numeric value, it is just text). You can plot this data as a 2D line chart in Numbers pretty much like you are doing in Excel.

I think you should be able to simply drag your CSV file to a blank table in Numbers and it will import it. The table should have a single header column and a single header row to match what is in your data before importing. The dates need to be in the header column, which they will be automatically if they are column A of the CSV. However, if what you showed in your screenshot is the middle of the table, you will have to create another table where you can put the dates in a header column.

Given that you want specific formatting for the chart, it would be best to create a document/template that has the tables and the chart all set up and formatted versus having to repeat the process every time. You will then be able to open the template and drag your data to it versus recreating everything each time.

can I do this with numbers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.