Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get a pdf to automatically open after saving

Prior to upgrading to macOS Catalina, when creating a pdf by clicking on "save as pdf" when using the print feature, it would automatically open in Preview after saving to my computer. Now it no longer does that.

Any ideas on how to get a pdf document to open in Preview AFTER saving?

(PS: I don't use Adobe and I never will, because I hate that program. So please don't suggest I use Adobe.)

Thanks

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 29, 2020 2:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2020 5:50 PM

Yes, I am aware that you can do that. However, that means extra steps that I didn't have to do before!

Right now I save and then I have to go over to "today" to quickly open the file to use it. I used to be able to just save it to my desired location and it would automatically open in Preview. Why this option suddenly went away, I don't know. I am suspecting that it has to do with Firefox's file saving options. I was hoping it was an Apple function that had an easy solution.

But, once again, it looks like the Silicon Valley Brain-Trust took another great function away from us (no doubt to dumb down macOS to make it easier for dopes to use their iPhones). Ugh.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 29, 2020 5:50 PM in response to VikingOSX

Yes, I am aware that you can do that. However, that means extra steps that I didn't have to do before!

Right now I save and then I have to go over to "today" to quickly open the file to use it. I used to be able to just save it to my desired location and it would automatically open in Preview. Why this option suddenly went away, I don't know. I am suspecting that it has to do with Firefox's file saving options. I was hoping it was an Apple function that had an easy solution.

But, once again, it looks like the Silicon Valley Brain-Trust took another great function away from us (no doubt to dumb down macOS to make it easier for dopes to use their iPhones). Ugh.

May 29, 2020 3:22 PM in response to nowax

On the Apple Print panel's PDF sub-menu, the first menu item is Open in Preview, and just below it is Save As PDF.

You can skip the initial saving of the PDF to disk, by using the Open in Preview menu item. The PDF will open, and if you click on the filename title, it will even tell you the PDF is on your Desktop. That will not be true until you click Save…, and confirm that is where you want to save it.

Alternatively, if you choose Print panel : PDF : Save As PDF, and having paid attention to where you saved the PDF, double-click that PDF in the Finder, and that will open it in Preview. You can also single-click the PDF, and press the space bar to view it in Quick Look without launching Preview.

How to get a pdf to automatically open after saving

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.