Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to update to Catalina 10.15.5

I have a 1 month old MacMini(2018) running Catalina 10.15.4 that will not update to 10.15.5.

My HD has 410GB free.

Software update does not show the update to 10.15.5 as available. The snapshot below is from 5/30/2020.

I have tried using the installer download for 10.15.5 but it fails with no explanation.

The downloaded combo update also fails.

Any help in or advise to help install the latest Catalina 10.15.5 update would be greatly appreciated.

Mac mini, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 30, 2020 7:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2020 8:57 AM

Restarting in Safe Mode still provided the same errors.

The disk space was not an issue, i have 410GB free.

I have now been able to install the updates, but it required making a new admin user account and updating from there.

Does it make any sense for the ability of MacOS updates to depend on local user settings? This seems like a flaw for system updates to fail based on a local user accounts.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2020 8:57 AM in response to dialabrain

Restarting in Safe Mode still provided the same errors.

The disk space was not an issue, i have 410GB free.

I have now been able to install the updates, but it required making a new admin user account and updating from there.

Does it make any sense for the ability of MacOS updates to depend on local user settings? This seems like a flaw for system updates to fail based on a local user accounts.

Jun 5, 2020 2:29 PM in response to architype

I haven't been able to update from 10.15.3 to 10.15.5. Last time I updated to Catalina it wiped my system. I had to spend a couple hours at the Apple Store. And now I continue to have problems updating. I may have to look for a new product as I don't have cycles to spend continually trying to figure this out. And I work for a tech company.

Jul 21, 2020 3:46 PM in response to tjtropp

I have tried all above recommendations without success. Cannot update to 15.5 or 15.6. Also got this message:

macOS Catalina 10-15-5 Update can’t be installed on this disk. This Mac can only install macOS on APFS-formatted drives. Please use Disk Utility to reformat as APFS

I am new to Apple so would appreciate any suggestion. Does the above mean that I have to reformat my hard drive to APFS format (which I do not see as a choice in the disk utility)?

Many thanks,

Patrick

Unable to update to Catalina 10.15.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.