Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp Assistant stuck on partitioning disk

I have been trying to bootcamp my device for hours and nothing seems to work as it cannot get past the "status: partitioning device" part. My device is old so I am using a 32gb usb to install. Could anyone help out?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on May 30, 2020 8:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2020 11:22 AM

• disk2 looks like an SD card. Eject and physically remove it.
  • Eject all the disk images using
    • diskutil eject <ImageDisk>, for example diskutil eject disk5
  • Disconnect the 32GB disk. This needs to be a USB2 Flash drive. USB HDDs or USB3 devices have problems. Use a reputable brand.
  • Reset SMC and NVRAM
  • Run BC Assistant, and use the USB2 Flash drive, if necessary. If BCA fails, check that the USB is formatted as exFAT, otherwise apply Download macOS Mojave 10.14.6 Combo Update and retry.
  • Run a SMC and NVRAM Reset after any failure, before the next attempt.
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2020 11:22 AM in response to WillDillPickle

• disk2 looks like an SD card. Eject and physically remove it.
  • Eject all the disk images using
    • diskutil eject <ImageDisk>, for example diskutil eject disk5
  • Disconnect the 32GB disk. This needs to be a USB2 Flash drive. USB HDDs or USB3 devices have problems. Use a reputable brand.
  • Reset SMC and NVRAM
  • Run BC Assistant, and use the USB2 Flash drive, if necessary. If BCA fails, check that the USB is formatted as exFAT, otherwise apply Download macOS Mojave 10.14.6 Combo Update and retry.
  • Run a SMC and NVRAM Reset after any failure, before the next attempt.

Boot Camp Assistant stuck on partitioning disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.