Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you share files and folders on iCloud Drive to people without Apple IDs?

On Dropbox/OneDrive/Google Drive I can just create a link for whatever file and/or folder, and anyone can click it and view/download it instantly without an account with that given cloud service. And that works on any device - PC, Mac, iPhone, Android, etc.

Is this type of easy sharing possible on iCloud Drive?

So far I haven't found a solution. Every time I try to share a folder or file, when I click my link to test it on an anonymous system (so that I'm not logged into anything), it asks me to login to my Apple ID so that I can add these files to my shared folders on that iCloud.

Can't I just create links for any file/folder and just give it to people who want to quickly view or download something?

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 13

Posted on May 30, 2020 9:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2020 9:18 PM

No I have seen those threads. When you create links to a folder, even if you choose "anyone with the link" can "view only", when the other person tries the link, they will be asked to login to their iCloud/Apple ID.

They can't just browse the folder's contents straight away.

Similar questions

7 replies

May 30, 2020 9:24 PM in response to zinacef

You should read the contents of your link before posting it. This is "for non Mac users" but you still need an Apple ID to login and then look at the shared folder contents.

Go to the bottom of your link to "Access a private share":

When sharing a file with specific people, you get a link as before. This can be pasted wherever you want, such as emails and messages. What happens when someone clicks the link? This time there is no download option and the person must sign into iCloud with their Apple ID. Only people with Apple IDs can access shared files if they are shared specifically with them. They do not have to be Mac users though, and Windows users can have an Apple ID. These file sharing features are sure to be popular with iCloud users. However, other services like Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive and others have had this feature for years.

Hence, you always need an Apple ID to login and then you can view the files. Where as on Google Drive or Dropbox, anyone with the link can just view and download the folder and its contents without any login whatsoever.

Can you share files and folders on iCloud Drive to people without Apple IDs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.