Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro 2011 pressing random keys

My macbook pro early 2011 running macOS 10.13.6 is pressing random keys at random time. My laptop was sleeping and it wake up. On the password input i saw random letters (i actually cant see if it is letter on number or which number or letter it is). I tried rebooting my laptop. It fixed, but in around a hour the problem appeared again. I have also an external keyboard, if there is a way to disable the built-in keyboard. What can i do? Should i reset my macbook or it is a hardware issue? Please help!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 31, 2020 5:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2020 7:04 AM

nikolanikov,

Thank you for reaching out at Apple Support Communities today. If I understand correctly your MacBook Pro keyboard is typing letters that you aren’t pressing, but the issue is temporarily resolved when you restart your MacBook Pro.

It’s possible that the keyboard has some hardware issues that will mean it needs to be serviced, but I would try the steps outlined here:

If your Apple keyboard doesn't work - Apple Support

You might also test the keyboard by logging into macOS Recovery to see if it occurs there as well. The best way to do this is to access the Online Support options in the macOS Utilities window to browse in Safari. If your keyboard isn’t pressing random keys here it’s safe to assume that it’s software related. You may need to reinstall the macOS software in this case.

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Cheers.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2020 7:04 AM in response to nikolanikov

nikolanikov,

Thank you for reaching out at Apple Support Communities today. If I understand correctly your MacBook Pro keyboard is typing letters that you aren’t pressing, but the issue is temporarily resolved when you restart your MacBook Pro.

It’s possible that the keyboard has some hardware issues that will mean it needs to be serviced, but I would try the steps outlined here:

If your Apple keyboard doesn't work - Apple Support

You might also test the keyboard by logging into macOS Recovery to see if it occurs there as well. The best way to do this is to access the Online Support options in the macOS Utilities window to browse in Safari. If your keyboard isn’t pressing random keys here it’s safe to assume that it’s software related. You may need to reinstall the macOS software in this case.

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Cheers.

Macbook pro 2011 pressing random keys

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.