Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Expired root certificate May 30 2020?

How do I update an expired or invalid certificate, that seems to be preventing Mail on my Mac from working? It also seems to be preventing me from going to certain websites. I get a message saying 'This connection is not private'... ?

Added... ok so I just realised that my Mail was 'offline' clicked on that to 'online' and all my mail came through. Are these expired certificates going to be a security issue or anything?

iMac 21.5″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jun 1, 2020 12:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2020 9:25 AM

Hello,

Could you please post a screenshot to what you are referring to?

When posting a screenshot to these public forums please ensure you have censored any personal information.

Take a screenshot on your Mac - Apple Support

6 replies

Jun 5, 2020 1:35 PM in response to thedaim

There has been another thread topic with replies showing newer

certificate from Apple. It may be worth looking into; if it works.

• "Invalid Certificate" - ASC reply - (w/ link to Apple certificate)

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251429106?answerId=252787036022#252787036022

Otherwise, different/new supported Ffx browser with recent updates

is an answer. Should you not want to upgrade to later recent macOS.

~ Firefox in El Capitan, works for me; & older macOS 10.11.6 applications.

Good luck & happy computing!🌻🌤

Jun 5, 2020 2:38 AM in response to thedaim

There are a few things that may be going on; if your Mac uses an older system that hasn't seen update/upgrades

to email application, or in web browser application, that could be an issue behind both of these. ~ They're older.

If your Mac is running El Capitan 10.11.6, the Safari version hasn't seen any security updates in a few years. Also

the Apple Mail may be suspect. Since my El Capitan 10.11.6 has neither of these in use, the workarounds can

be to use Thunderbird email client, and Firefox web browser. (Or any other presently updated third-party opts.)

Since you've not heard back from others in this thread, this was only an option; unless you need to feel secure

and then upgrade the system, if possible, to High Sierra macOS 10.13.6, or Mojave 10.14.6. Your 'mail' may be OK

while old Safari has some issues; banks and other fiscal sites haven't liked that Safari version in awhile.

High Sierra sees some security still. (Mojave is newer.)

Your iMac may be nearer end-of-road in upgrade path.

Can you make the internet applications use HTTPS://?

Good luck & happy trails!🌞🌎

Jun 7, 2020 2:37 PM in response to thedaim

Just checking back to see if you were able to use newer Apple certificates

with your Safari browser, to resolve this matter? ~ Seems to have worked

in other user experiences; where El Capitan and Safari v.11.1.2 had issues.

The other options suggested using third-party browsers, as those had new

security updates; but to adopt a new/different browser, was alien to some.

Hopefully you found a pathway through this minor irritant. Good luck!🌤

Expired root certificate May 30 2020?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.