2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 20, 2010 4:21 PM by thomas_r.
Bill Myers Level 1 (5 points)
o.k....my "bad"...I goofed...I confess :(:(:(
I've never used a "Smart" mailbox. I read what they were able to do and it looked interesting/useful.
I thought I would create an empty one, then mess with the criteria to get messages in there.
I did not note that the Create Smart Mailbox command had already established one criterion...suck up every message from all mailboxes *ADDRESSED TO ME*!! (which it dutifully did!)
So I figured, manually move those messages back to their proper mailboxes, but as soon as I do, SmartMB ***** 'emback in again!
So I figure, change that default criterion to something other than everything addressed to me, but when I do, all of those messages disappear from the SmartMB window!
What I need to do is "turn off" SmartMB's active feature, unitl I can get all those messages back where they belong - - then delete the SmartMB.

help??@!

Mac OS X (10.6.4)
  • Ernie Stamper Level 8 (37,545 points)
    Bill,

Smart mailboxes DO NOT move anything. They are just the resultant of a search criteria. Any message in a Smart mailbox must continue to reside in the original mailbox, if not moved to another true mailbox.

Just delete the Smart mailbox, and the messages will still be in original location.

Ernie
  • thomas_r. Level 7 (30,717 points)
    A smart mailbox is just a remembered search, not an actual location. Those messages are still where they should be. Just adjust the mailbox criteria to get it to show only the ones you want.