You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to eliminate iMac window transparency/opacity

Is there any way to eliminate window transparency/opacity in MacOS 10.14?

Example: If I move a Quicktime movie around on screen, I can see ghost images of the windows behind it in the video image.

It affects most apps to varying degrees. Finder is least affected in the foreground, and is usually the thing showing thru the window I'm working on. Sometimes the ghost image represents windows that were recently closed. I've put up with it for many years. I've had to reassure clients their expensive artwork does not actually have lines running thru it. It's embarrassing and unprofessional.

Switching on Reduce Transparency in Accessibility doesn't help: it reduces it in the Finder sidebar and Dock.

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 1, 2020 6:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2020 9:37 AM

In addition to BDAqua's excellent advise, also have a look at the following Apple Support article.

Avoiding image persistence on Apple displays - Apple Support

4 replies

Jul 6, 2020 7:17 AM in response to den.thed

Thanks both! I've been running screensaver for about a month.

Concluded that my display needs replacing. It's 6 years old.

When my fusion drive died I had an SSD installed and new thermal paste.

Screen cracked during removal. I put off replacing it when pandemic hit.

Hoping repair shop will still honour the replacement.

Thanks very much for the help,

Brad

How to eliminate iMac window transparency/opacity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.