Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unable to update contacts from iPhone to iCloud

While browsing Contact list on www.icloud.com, I noticed that the contact list is not in sync with my iPhone contact list. How do I sync iPhone data to 'the Cloud'?

iPhone 6, iOS 12

Posted on Jun 1, 2020 5:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2020 3:38 PM

In answer to my own question, I have now determined why most of my iPhone contacts are not found within icloud.com.

The iPhone path 'Settings -> Contacts -> Default Account' listed OUTLOOK. No idea why this was set to OUTLOOK or how long it has been this way. After changing the Default Account to iCloud any NEW contacts added to the iPhone are uploaded to the cloud.

To get icloud.com to recognize and store existing OUTLOOK contacts, I have done the following:

1 - Open Contacts on iPhone and select an entry that is missing from icloud (e.g. John Doe)

2 - Within 'John Doe' contact, click on 'Share Contact'

3 - Choose Mail icon. This creates a draft email with John Doe.vcf file attached.

4 - Enter my email address in the TO: section and send the email to me.

5 - Retrieve the email and download the John Doe.vcf file to my computer hard drive.

6 - Open website www.icloud.com/contacts

7 - Under Gear icon, choose Import vCard.

8 - Search computer hard drive for John Doe.vcf file and double click, or highlight John Doe.vcf and press OPEN button.

Simple, no???

So, there has to be someone out there with more expertise that can accomplish this task in less than 8 steps or knows how to import ALL missing entries at the same time.

Anyone rising to the challenge?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2020 3:38 PM in response to tech_no_challenged

In answer to my own question, I have now determined why most of my iPhone contacts are not found within icloud.com.

The iPhone path 'Settings -> Contacts -> Default Account' listed OUTLOOK. No idea why this was set to OUTLOOK or how long it has been this way. After changing the Default Account to iCloud any NEW contacts added to the iPhone are uploaded to the cloud.

To get icloud.com to recognize and store existing OUTLOOK contacts, I have done the following:

1 - Open Contacts on iPhone and select an entry that is missing from icloud (e.g. John Doe)

2 - Within 'John Doe' contact, click on 'Share Contact'

3 - Choose Mail icon. This creates a draft email with John Doe.vcf file attached.

4 - Enter my email address in the TO: section and send the email to me.

5 - Retrieve the email and download the John Doe.vcf file to my computer hard drive.

6 - Open website www.icloud.com/contacts

7 - Under Gear icon, choose Import vCard.

8 - Search computer hard drive for John Doe.vcf file and double click, or highlight John Doe.vcf and press OPEN button.

Simple, no???

So, there has to be someone out there with more expertise that can accomplish this task in less than 8 steps or knows how to import ALL missing entries at the same time.

Anyone rising to the challenge?

Jun 1, 2020 8:43 PM in response to zinacef

Thanks for the tip but I was a little hesitant to delete them from iCloud (but keep them on my iPhone). I DID notice that my iPhone Contacts have 2 Groups; 'All iCloud' and 'All Outlook'. Only the 'All iCloud' contacts show up in www.icloud.com. So, the question is how to make www.icloud.com recognize and update the OUTLOOK contacts.

Interesting scenario - I manually retyped an existing iPhone OUTLOOK contact within www.icloud.com. The iPhone contact then showed Linked Contacts to iCloud and Outlook for that entry. Changes made to that contact on the iPhone are immediately updated on 'the cloud' (since I now have the icloud link associated with that entry.

However, I prefer not to retype every iPhone OUTLOOK group entry into the cloud to create the iCloud link. New contacts are added daily to the iPhone and those entries do not show any LINKED CONTACTS detail.

How can I convert, en masse, all of the OUTLOOK links to iCloud links? Further, how can I ensure all new Contacts are added to 'the cloud' without manual intervention?

Any and all help is appreciated.

unable to update contacts from iPhone to iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.