Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't add a transition in iMovie

I have a background running the length of an audio track on my project. Above the background are clips that need to transition to each other. I am not able to drag and drop any of the transitions between my clips. It's only letting me insert transitions on the background part of the timeline, which I don't need because the same background is constant for the length of the project. Any ideas why I cannot add transitions between the clips that layer over my background?

Posted on Jun 1, 2020 7:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2020 9:04 PM

iMovie will not let you add transitions to video clips that are placed in the upper timeline. That's just the way the software is designed. However, you can add fade-ins and fade-outs by putting your cursor on the clip to reveal fade handles in the upper corners of the clip. Hold down the Option key to slide them individually to create fade-ins and fade-outs.

If you need transitions different than that, a workaround would be to create a new project and put your clips into the main timeline of the new project. Then add whatever transitions that you want and share out the movie. Import the movie into your master project and place it above the black background. You can do this procedure with two or three clips, or any number of clips, as well. Then insert the shared out movie into the upper timeline above the black background.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2020 9:04 PM in response to eleanor_rigby

iMovie will not let you add transitions to video clips that are placed in the upper timeline. That's just the way the software is designed. However, you can add fade-ins and fade-outs by putting your cursor on the clip to reveal fade handles in the upper corners of the clip. Hold down the Option key to slide them individually to create fade-ins and fade-outs.

If you need transitions different than that, a workaround would be to create a new project and put your clips into the main timeline of the new project. Then add whatever transitions that you want and share out the movie. Import the movie into your master project and place it above the black background. You can do this procedure with two or three clips, or any number of clips, as well. Then insert the shared out movie into the upper timeline above the black background.

-- Rich

Can't add a transition in iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.