Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos app stuck updating from iCloud library

Hi everyone,

I’ve recently purchased a new MacBook Pro 16” with macOS 10.15.4 (later updated to 10.15.5), I’ve activated everything in iCloud sync options, but photos, in Photos App, don’t appear...the app still show me nothing...just the “updating...” message.

I’ve tried to reboot, disable and re-enable icloud photos in preferences, create new libraries, create new user and sync there the photos, but none of the methods I’ve used seem to work.

Is there a fix to this issue?

Is macOS Catalina the “problem”?

Is there a hope to see again my iCloud photos also in my new MacBook?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jun 1, 2020 11:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2020 1:42 AM

How large is your Photos Library in iCloud?

If it is large, the updating may take several days. Then do not interrupt it. If you disable the iCloud option and turn it on again, the updating will start over from scratch.

There are three common reasons for iCloud not syncing after the Mojave or Catalina upgrade:

• The network connection: iCloud Photos needs a Wi-Fi connection, not a cellular hotspot. Are you connected to Wi-Fi? Also, a Firewall could be blocking the connection to Apple's cloud servers. If you are using a third-party Firewall or Antivirus filter, like Kaperski or Little Snitch, disable it.
  • The location of your Photos Library: The library must not be on an external volume, that is used for Time Machine backups or is having any backup software installed. It needs to be locally mounted, not accessed over the network. Even if it worked with a previous system version, it will no longer work withCatalina because of the new security features.
  • Media files in an unsupported format. The iCloud sync can get stuck, if your Photos Library contains PDF files or older image files or videos, in a format, that QuickTime Player can no longer open.

If you still have your old Mac, check your Photos library there for legacy media and convert them to a different format, that will work on catalina. Here is a checklist for iMovie: About incompatible media in iMovie for macOS - Apple Support. Items that are safe to use in iMovie should also work in Photos.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2020 1:42 AM in response to alex.e87

How large is your Photos Library in iCloud?

If it is large, the updating may take several days. Then do not interrupt it. If you disable the iCloud option and turn it on again, the updating will start over from scratch.

There are three common reasons for iCloud not syncing after the Mojave or Catalina upgrade:

• The network connection: iCloud Photos needs a Wi-Fi connection, not a cellular hotspot. Are you connected to Wi-Fi? Also, a Firewall could be blocking the connection to Apple's cloud servers. If you are using a third-party Firewall or Antivirus filter, like Kaperski or Little Snitch, disable it.
  • The location of your Photos Library: The library must not be on an external volume, that is used for Time Machine backups or is having any backup software installed. It needs to be locally mounted, not accessed over the network. Even if it worked with a previous system version, it will no longer work withCatalina because of the new security features.
  • Media files in an unsupported format. The iCloud sync can get stuck, if your Photos Library contains PDF files or older image files or videos, in a format, that QuickTime Player can no longer open.

If you still have your old Mac, check your Photos library there for legacy media and convert them to a different format, that will work on catalina. Here is a checklist for iMovie: About incompatible media in iMovie for macOS - Apple Support. Items that are safe to use in iMovie should also work in Photos.

Photos app stuck updating from iCloud library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.