Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tab key effect always showing

Hi, I'm having a really small issue that for some people it might not be an issue at all. The thing is that in some apps (specifically in Safari and Zoom) something is always highlighted as if I had pressed the tab key. It's really hard to explain but for example, if I click on Safari preferences the general tab appears with a blue border (again, as if I had pressed tab). I'll attach a picture showing what I mean.This also happens in the Zoom app. It select the input button or the full screen button out of nowhere.

I don't know if maybe something changed in the accessibility preferences on my systems setting or what, but this is really driving me crazy. Help please!!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 2, 2020 9:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2020 2:22 PM

That happens when you have "Use keyboard navigation to move focus between controls" enabled in the Keyboard System Preferences, Shortcuts tab.

When you have the focus on that section of the dialog box, one control will be highlighted. Using Safari prefs as an example, if you click on a tab, then the tab bar control is active and one of the tabs should get the outline. If you click in one of the controls within the settings, one of those controls should be outlined.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2020 2:22 PM in response to sebastianknell

That happens when you have "Use keyboard navigation to move focus between controls" enabled in the Keyboard System Preferences, Shortcuts tab.

When you have the focus on that section of the dialog box, one control will be highlighted. Using Safari prefs as an example, if you click on a tab, then the tab bar control is active and one of the tabs should get the outline. If you click in one of the controls within the settings, one of those controls should be outlined.

Tab key effect always showing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.