Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing files after using Migration Assistant

I just transferred files from my old iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2010) running OS 10.13.6 to a new one (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2019) running OS 10.15.4 using the Migration Assistant, and I'm missing all kinds of stuff that I'm manually having to transfer myself.

I also just noticed that the Library folder in my user account is missing, too, in addition to several others. Is there a way to get the Library folder, etc. to the new iMac without having to transfer files individually?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 2, 2020 10:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2020 6:11 PM

Just asking... you do know the users Library is hidden?

Apple hid the Users' Library folders...

Method 1:

1. From the Finder, select the Go menu at top of the screen, and choose Go to Folder.
  2. In the window that opens, enter ~/Library, and click Go.

Method 2:

1. Go to the Finder (or desktop).
  2. Hold the Option key on your keyboard, and click the Go menu at the top of the screen.
  3. With the Go menu open, you'll notice that pressing and releasing Option will display or hide the Library choice in this menu.

4 Select Library from the Go menu (while holding down Option) to access the hidden folder.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2020 6:11 PM in response to seadub64

Just asking... you do know the users Library is hidden?

Apple hid the Users' Library folders...

Method 1:

1. From the Finder, select the Go menu at top of the screen, and choose Go to Folder.
  2. In the window that opens, enter ~/Library, and click Go.

Method 2:

1. Go to the Finder (or desktop).
  2. Hold the Option key on your keyboard, and click the Go menu at the top of the screen.
  3. With the Go menu open, you'll notice that pressing and releasing Option will display or hide the Library choice in this menu.

4 Select Library from the Go menu (while holding down Option) to access the hidden folder.

Jun 4, 2020 7:20 AM in response to BDAqua

BDAqua,

I didn't know that was was hidden, but I was able to locate the Library folder using the methods you described above. Is there a way to get it back in my User account?

However, compared to my User account on my old iMac, I am still missing many folders and files.

In addition, the Documents folder doesn't have any of my files or folders in it at all.

I appreciate your assistance.

Jun 12, 2020 7:47 AM in response to BDAqua

Sorry, I've been away without internet or reliable cell service and couldn't respond.

I located the Library folder using the method you supplied previously, but am still missing several others.

Also, I put files and folders on my Desktop and they all disappeared, too, when I logged in the next time.

After turning on my computer upon my return I received an error message before doing anything. I don't get it.

Jun 13, 2020 9:47 AM in response to seadub64

I'm having the same exact problem. I transferred my files from a 2010 MacBook Pro to a refurbished 2017 MacBook Pro, new to me, and the Migration Assistant appears to have transferred all of the applications but not all of my files. Major files are missing. I used a very recent backup from Time Machine on an external drive. Puzzling.

Missing files after using Migration Assistant

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.