Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina update, cannot open App Store

Hello, I updated to Catalina at the weekend. Ever since I cannot open App Store. the message The application “%@” can’t be opened. appears every time I try. The problem report tell me App Store quit unexpectedly while using the AppStoreKit plug-in.

Anyone have any ideas please?

iMac Pro

Posted on Jun 2, 2020 11:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2020 5:05 PM

Hi PerplexedwithCatalina,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand that you're unable to open the App Store on your Mac after upgrading to macOS Catalina. I see you're getting an error that the App Store can't be opened and the report indicates it's quitting unexpectedly. I know how important it is to be able to use the App Store on your Mac; I'd like to help. First, start your Mac in safe mode and try to open the App Store: How to use safe mode on your Mac

If the App Store opens successfully in safe mode, restart your Mac normally and test again. If the issue persists, I'd suggest reinstalling macOS Catalina: Reinstall macOS

Let me know what you find.

Best Regards.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2020 5:05 PM in response to PerplexedwithCatalina

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand that you're unable to open the App Store on your Mac after upgrading to macOS Catalina. I see you're getting an error that the App Store can't be opened and the report indicates it's quitting unexpectedly. I know how important it is to be able to use the App Store on your Mac; I'd like to help. First, start your Mac in safe mode and try to open the App Store: How to use safe mode on your Mac

If the App Store opens successfully in safe mode, restart your Mac normally and test again. If the issue persists, I'd suggest reinstalling macOS Catalina: Reinstall macOS

Let me know what you find.

Best Regards.

Jun 10, 2020 7:26 AM in response to PerplexedwithCatalina

Thanks for taking the time to try safe mode and get back to us with the results. I know it's important to have a backup before proceeding with a macOS reinstall, so let's look into that. I suggest using these steps to troubleshoot the behavior you're experiencing when attempting to back up: If you can't back up or restore your Mac using Time Machine

Once you've created a recent backup of your Mac, use the steps previously provided to reinstall macOS and thereby the App Store.

Take Care.

Catalina update, cannot open App Store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.