Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

16 GB Nano- How Many Songs Will It Hold

The box for the 16 GB says it will hold 4,000 songs. However, I have about 2400 songs in my library, and my current iPod 30GB says 17 GB is used. I would like to downsize to a Nano, but don't want to find out after I buy it that I have too many songs to load. I don't do video, but have a very small number of photos/addresses on it, so that won't be using up too much extra space.

Windows XP

Posted on Jul 20, 2010 4:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2010 8:48 PM

Your 16GB Nano will have about 14.3 or so GB of usable space due to the way space is calculated by the OS vs. the manufacturers.

The 4,000 song estimate is based on using 128k formatting with an average song length of 4 minutes. If your songs are 256k you will only get 2,000 songs on your Nano, etc. So check the format and file size of your music.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2010 8:48 PM in response to fairghum

Your 16GB Nano will have about 14.3 or so GB of usable space due to the way space is calculated by the OS vs. the manufacturers.

The 4,000 song estimate is based on using 128k formatting with an average song length of 4 minutes. If your songs are 256k you will only get 2,000 songs on your Nano, etc. So check the format and file size of your music.

16 GB Nano- How Many Songs Will It Hold

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.